At the end of a theatre performance is it antisocial to stand and applaud?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Last evening Daphne and I attended a splendid performance of South Pacific at Sadlers Wells. Lots of goose pimples, tingling down the spine, nostalgic tears in eyes etc (most of the audience were wrinklies like us........)
At the curtain fall there was thunderous applause from the audience but then several folk, including a couple in front of us, stood to continue clapping. Neither of us could then see a thing!!

Bad manners I say.

Last edited:
Last evening Daphne and I attended a splendid performance of South Pacific at Sadlers Wells. Lots of goose pimples, tingling down the spine, nostalgic tears in eyes etc (most of the audience were wrinklies like us........)
At the curtain call there was thunderous applause from the audience but then several folk, including a couple in front of us, stood to continue clapping. Neither of us could then see a thing!!

Bad manners I say.
Applause can sometimes trigger people.
For this reason, at my daughters primary school, one class (not hers) was told to do jazz hands rather than clap to show appreciation. 🤗
All in all I’m note sure banning standing ovations is for the better.

If you feel the performance was worthy then you give a standing ovation no?

What I really hate when I go to the theatre is people eating; 1. it’s not the cinema, 2. Surely they can go an hour and a half without eating, 3. I’ve paid a fair bit for tickets to watch a performance not to listen to someone masticate! and 4. People chatting about the performance. In the absence of those things, I can relax and enjoy the performance 😂

At the curtain fall there was thunderous applause from the audience but then several folk, including a couple in front of us, stood to continue clapping. Neither of us could then see a thing!!

Bad manners I say.
The show was effectively finished, they obviously enjoyed it more than you did.
Country is falling apart and THIS is what gets you riled!

Bad manners I say.
At curtain fall the norm is Anthem Sprinting isn't it?

Applause can sometimes trigger people.
For this reason, at my daughters primary school, one class (not hers) was told to do jazz hands rather than clap to show appreciation. 🤗
All in all I’m note sure banning standing ovations is for the better.
Jazz hands is the British Sign Language's form of clapping

Bad manners I say
Bad manners not to I say - having attended numerous theatre performances from Shakespeare to Ayckbourne, Verdi to Gilbert and Sullivan And from both sides of the pit it has always been good manners to acknowledge a class performance by standing and clapping to show your appreciation - a tradition almost as old as when seated auditoria became the norm.
You said yourself that the performance sent tingles down your spine - a standing ovation in that case is almost compulsory.
There is nothing that raises the spirits of a cast, tired at the end of a performance, that has worked hard, sometimes for months to deliver a product to an audience, than to look out to the auditorium and see people stand on their feet to show their appreciation

The show was effectively finished, they obviously enjoyed it more than you did.
Country is falling apart and THIS is what gets you riled!
It’s actually a good thing that mundane unimportant stuff riles us now and then, don’t you think?

Bad manners I say.
If it was as good as you suggest I’d think it rude not to get off your backside and applaud!

Back