Association Apiaries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

My local association has relied upon the use of a member's field for it's main apiary, and it's assets have been stored with various members. It's been a good arrangement but with an eye to the future I've been talking with people about the need for the association to have something on a more formal basis. So I wondered what most people's associations do for apiary sites? Do any actually own the land or does everyone's rent them? Has anyone gone through the purchasing/renting process?

Thanks

Our association rents a small enclosure from the local estate - it has done since well before my time - has room for a couple of dozen hives, a twenty foot shed and an open area for chatting, away from the bees.

We rent a small secure area from the local borough council within a park

Manchester & District BKA hire a building and land in a major park, from Manchester Council. The deal includes having it open to the public for a few hours each Sunday.

However, under the present awful financial situation for councils, they're trying to vary the arrangement. Discussions are ongoing.

Dusty

Hi all

My local association has relied upon the use of a member's field for it's main apiary, and it's assets have been stored with various members. It's been a good arrangement but with an eye to the future I've been talking with people about the need for the association to have something on a more formal basis. So I wondered what most people's associations do for apiary sites? Do any actually own the land or does everyone's rent them? Has anyone gone through the purchasing/renting process?

Thanks

We have a mesh enclosed Apiary with room for about 14 hives situated in a secluded, wooded nature conservation trust site. Outside the enclosure is an 8 x 6 shed to keep odds and ends in. I'm not aware of any formal agreement but I'm given to understand the site was established with a nature conservation grant. Some equipment is kept in other locations and members apiaries/homes. This works for us. Purchasing a permanent site may introduce unwanted responsibility and costs such as planning permission, rates etc (unintended consequences)

The Wokingham Association has had and Association apiary for a number of years.
Until the early summer it was based in an area of land that a local animal charity allowed us to use but due a change in their land use requirements that arrangement was terminated.
This caused a few problems requiring the rapid relocation of hives to other sites and the requirement to look for a new home for the apiary and the disruption of this years teaching schedule.
A chance meeting between one of our committee members and a local journo resulted in an article in the local paper, brought forward one offer of land which was being pursued, until we received a better offer of an enclosed parcel of land from a large well know PC supplier. We are in the process of relocating the bees and purchasing a new shed to house all the association kit in.

Manchester & District BKA hire a building and land in a major park, from Manchester Council. The deal includes having it open to the public for a few hours each Sunday.

However, under the present awful financial situation for councils, they're trying to vary the arrangement. Discussions are ongoing.

Dusty

Apologies.

I should have said, "rent", not "hire".

Dusty

Our assoc. has 2 apiaries, one donated by a friendly landowner (the piece of land is pretty dreadful so it has minimal use for agriculture but it's great for hives) and the other is from Coillte, a sort of Irish equivalent of the Woodland Trust, who are happy to facilitate what might help them achieve their goals.

Latest posts

Back