Asian Hornet Devon 2017

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this time of year how will that help?

If a nest was produced last year somewhere in the country where there were few or no bee keepers to notice flying workers then a nest high in trees would be very noticeable at this time of year; no leaves!

I remember last January seeing a number of nests in trees in the south of France as we travelled down to Portugal. Looked like big greyish balloons stuck in the branches high up. No mistaking what they were!

Ramblers knowing what to look for walking country paths would only miss them if they were keeping their heads down....its a good idea.

Ramblers knowing what to look for walking country paths would only miss them if they were keeping their heads down....its a good idea.
They don't really cover enough ground to be effective. Think of large forest and one or two well laid out paths going through it, acres and acres of unseen stuff. It's better then nothing having them watch out for nests but not by much.
...and from what we already know its possible they are already here and established.

They don't really cover enough ground to be effective. Think of large forest and one or two well laid out paths going through it, acres and acres of unseen stuff. It's better then nothing having them watch out for nests but not by much.
...and from what we already know its possible they are already here and established.

Children and poachers often explore far from the madding crowd.

Children and poachers often explore far from the madding crowd.
I have to agree with that... but not these days...i used to regularly wander from the beaten track in search of a good picture... mainly crawling through nettles and brambles depending on the time of year..anyway poachers are the kiddies if you want info away from the blinkered.

Last edited:
They don't really cover enough ground to be effective.........

My point exactly, when I first started discussing what we could do with Martyn Hocking , the man in Woolacombe whose bees were attacked by AH last September.

But if we assume they are here already then they have not been bothering the bee keepers in the area or areas where they are established, and by established I mean having moved to the secondary nest stage. SO if there are colonies that would have produced founding queens for next spring they ought to be visible in trees at this time of year. If such a nest is found then we would know to expect attacks on Hives within a 60k radius (give or take a few) of that nest next April, May, June.

If that is indeed the case the authorities wont be able to cope, their are just not enough bee inspectors or enough funds to sustain eradication. You only have to read the planning documents NBU, Defra, NNSS have issued to know what the phrase 'Subject to availability and cost' means...there no money!

In the latest update on the BBKA wesite their information ad advice ( which was based on the Tetbury incident the following can be found:

"We are asking beekeepers within or bordering the area highlighted in yellow on the map in
the formal copy of this notice below to remain particularly vigilant to signs of the Asian
hornet. During the remaining winter months, you can check for nests in trees. In France,
Asian hornets can form nests in many types of tree. However, in trees which lose their leaves
in the autumn any nests can become visible and clearly seen in the winter as the branches are
bare."

The maps area I would guess is 60k radius from Tetbury, although I have not seen the map.

Now BBKA, NBU, et al, are just asking bee keepers to look.....how much better if we can get everybody to look.

My point exactly, when I first started discussing what we could do with Martyn Hocking , the man in Woolacombe whose bees were attacked by AH last September.

But if we assume they are here already then they have not been bothering the bee keepers in the area or areas where they are established, and by established I mean having moved to the secondary nest stage. SO if there are colonies that would have produced founding queens for next spring they ought to be visible in trees at this time of year. If such a nest is found then we would know to expect attacks on Hives within a 60k radius (give or take a few) of that nest next April, May, June.

If that is indeed the case the authorities wont be able to cope, their are just not enough bee inspectors or enough funds to sustain eradication. You only have to read the planning documents NBU, Defra, NNSS have issued to know what the phrase 'Subject to availability and cost' means...there no money!

In the latest update on the BBKA wesite their information ad advice ( which was based on the Tetbury incident the following can be found:

"We are asking beekeepers within or bordering the area highlighted in yellow on the map in
the formal copy of this notice below to remain particularly vigilant to signs of the Asian
hornet. During the remaining winter months, you can check for nests in trees. In France,
Asian hornets can form nests in many types of tree. However, in trees which lose their leaves
in the autumn any nests can become visible and clearly seen in the winter as the branches are
bare."

The maps area I would guess is 60k radius from Tetbury, although I have not seen the map.

Now BBKA, NBU, et al, are just asking bee keepers to look.....how much better if we can get everybody to look.

NO IT IS NOT., Getting everyone to looks when 90% of the population cannot tell a wasp from a bee or a bumble bees= millions of false alarms... some genuine mistakes but a fair percentage fake calls... see the abuse of A&E and fake 999 calls.

But if we assume they are here already then they have not been bothering the bee keepers in the area or areas where they are established, and by established I mean having moved to the secondary nest stage.

It's a big assumption that all beekeepers would notice them or even be visiting their out apiaries at a time of day when they were hawking.
Unfortunately too many possible worst case scenarios.

It's a big assumption that all beekeepers would notice them or even be visiting their out apiaries at a time of day when they were hawking.
Unfortunately too many possible worst case scenarios.

We can only do our best. Doing nothing is not an effective option.

We can only do our best. Doing nothing is not an effective option.

Quite agree John, suggest you get out there now with a powerful torch and check your nearest forest for any missed nests. Leaves are off the trees now so good time to not do nothing and be effective.

Quite agree John, suggest you get out there now with a powerful torch and check your nearest forest for any missed nests. Leaves are off the trees now so good time to not do nothing and be effective.

Can't be prowling through the woods after dark. I might be shot as a poacher. ☺

Can't be prowling through the woods after dark. I might be shot as a poacher. ☺

Tell me about it.. not been shot but i have been shot at a few times, i have even had okay corral type shoot out one year(many years ago) i had a Air rifle and the other twit had a scatter gun, my choice of lead propellant was slightly more accurate and modified which meant it traveled a longer distance, they where hiding behind trees not long after the second shot.. :xmas-smiley-016:.

>
> Dear Cornwall Beekkeepers,
>
> We are beekeepers near Totnes, in South Devon, who are responding to the fact that Asian Hornets were found in North Devon this autumn.
>
> Having read Martyn Hocking’s article that was published in both the November editions of 'Bee Craft' and ‘Beekeeping - Devon Beekeepers’ magazine' about his experience of finding Asian Hornets in his apiary near Woolacombe in North Devon this autumn,
> we have been in touch with him. As a result, we have called
> an open meeting on ASIAN HORNETS
> from 2.00pm - 5.00pm on Saturday, 20th January, 2018
> in Harberton Parish Hall, TQ9 7SD,
> at which Martyn Hocking will be our guest speaker
> and where there will be an opportunity to discuss a range of issues that have arisen.
>
> As we are expecting much interest in this meeting, we would appreciate being contacted by anyone wishing to attend, so can have sufficient refreshments available at the hall during the meeting and we can put anyone needing accommodation in touch with the local B&B’s in the area.
>
> A follow up article has since been written by Martyn, in which he makes various suggestions about how beekeepers can be given better support should they find themselves in his situation. This second article will be printed in the December/January edition of ‘Beekeeping - Devon Beekeepers’ magazine’ and is awaiting a publication decision that is currently being made by the editor of the BBKA newsletter.
>
> Martyn feels that there is only a short time in which to get organised and prepared for the arrival of the next Asian Hornet, if we are to have any chance of keeping this non-native species out of the UK.
>
> We would be most grateful if you could please advertise the above information to all beekeepers in Cornwall, so we can ensure a good turn out at this vitally important meeting. We look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jill & Ken Beagley

From my hotmail inbox... may be of interest to us in the front line of this foreign invasion!!

Yeghes da

Is there really a "front line" ?
I'm in a river valley with nearby distribution warehouses...... remember the Scottish sighting.

Should we get an NBU warning ?

From my hotmail inbox... may be of interest to us in the front line of this foreign invasion!!

Lost in translation... by FRONTLINE.. and US... my meaning was BEEKEEPERS

As WE will be probably the FIRST to recognise the invading foreign beasts... wherever you are........

Mytten da

https://info.pollinis.org/dark-bees-amendment/

Last edited:
Some years ago there were two residents of a certain East Yorkshire estate shooting at each other with 12 bores :)

Yes, it would be different now
with the Southern shandy drinking fashion of using lesser and more obscure calibres spreading forever Northward.

Latest posts

Back