Artificial Swarm Books

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, as a relatively new bee can anyone recommend a book that explains the more complex artificial swarm methods such as the dumaree method and the use of a snelgrove board?

TIA

L.E. Snelgrove - Swarming Its Control and Prevention.
The book was written in the 1930's and covers a variety of swarm control methods of that time.

Any decent book will have these but the more complex the method the more often it goes wrong.

A normal AS is simple, straight forward, and usually successful.

Would I use any other? No. Why? Because the more complex....

PH

see this link. Everything you need to know about use of snelgrove board: www.wbka.com/pdf/a018themanyusesofasnelgroveboard.pdf a great article. I think Edinborough beekeepers assocciation have a guide to making a snelgrove board. I made one and it was very easy and cheap to make. They are also easy to use. Makes A.S very easy without need to lug around equipment.

Thanks for all the replies, but I was hoping for something to read in bed or on the beach!!

buy an electronic book like a kindle and download all the pdf files you can find on swarm control and that should keep you going for a year

Until very recently I would have said the same and I am the son of a master printer!

Now I would say ignore Kobo and buy Kindle as my Kobo situation was dire and the support dreadful.

Also I commend Calibre as an essential tool for converting files.

PH

Last edited:
Any decent book will have these but the more complex the method the more often it goes wrong.

A normal AS is simple, straight forward, and usually successful.

Would I use any other? No. Why? Because the more complex....

PH

jep. One page is enough to describe what to do..

Back