Are these torn down supercedure cells?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had a scenario over 3 weeks ago where I had 2 sealed QCells and 1 nearly capped, my mentor had a peek with me and said Supercedure was happening as the grubs and brood was all over 8 days old. I may have squished the queen on my last inspection, so probably an emergency job. Anyway we tore down the 2 sealed QCs and left one occupied and almost capped QC.
Fast forward 3 and a half weeks, had a peek today. Saw the new queen, no eggs as the brood box is rammed with stores (put a super on). I am not concerned but there are a 2 chunky cells that I am not sure about. There were no eggs to be utilised when we left them last time, so I wonder what has gone on here?

Your mentor should know that there is a considerable difference between supersedure and emergency queen cells.

If it was supersedure then your old queen would still be there and most probably still laying.

If they were emergency cells they would be a different shape from supersedure cells.

Whatever if you have seen a new queen then you just have to hope she has mated well. If it's now 3 weeks you would hope to see eggs soon, if your brood box is full add more super space so they can move stores to give her room to lay.

The cells in your first pictures look old to me (as does the comb).

As Davelin. If you had killed her, there would have been multiple emergency cells to break down. You may , of couse, have damaged her. An unusual placing for a supercedure cell, but appears to have been effective. No eggs, so nothing will have happened; as simple as that.

Don't know what your weather has been like recently, but doubtful a queen would have got mated down here this last week. Good luck. You may need it, if she is to get mated this early and properly.

At the time, he did say the queen has gone and no doubt knew that these were emergency queen cells, he is over 80 though and perhaps that is a new term?
The weather has been reasonably good for the last 10 days. There are plenty drones among my other hives so can't see a problem with mating.
This was a swarm last year so that "old" comb was drawn out less than a year ago.

What do you call good? May need to read up on weather requirements for queen mating. The number of drones may well be totally irrelevant.

Well it hasn't been snowing, raining everyday or blowing a gale force wind, I would say we have had normal weather for this time of year. Anyway there is nothing I can do about it now, so fingers crossed, as ever.

Latest posts

Back