Apilife var count

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pendragon

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Natural varroa drop has been low all summer (average one a week even with Vaseline on the board - ants seem to walk over this with ease though!)
After reading a thread on here I decided to treat anyway and I was quite shocked to find 104 dead for the first week.
Also I sugar dusted 3 weeks ago and still only got two on the board.

Me too, but my counts have been 600+ after 1 and 2 weeks treatment respectively on two 14x12 hives....... and it's still rising! Shocker!

Natural varroa drop has been low all summer (average one a week even with Vaseline on the board - ants seem to walk over this with ease though!)
After reading a thread on here I decided to treat anyway and I was quite shocked to find 104 dead for the first week.
Also I sugar dusted 3 weeks ago and still only got two on the board.

This is a salutary lesson not to assume that a low mite drop before treating is a reason not to treat at all. Frankly I'm surprised that after your treatment the drop was so small. In the past, I have given up counting when I reached 3000 (yes - three thousand)!!!! Don't forget oxalic at Xmas/New Year too along with a dollop of fondant if hefting indicates. Some don't bother with oxalic on the same sort of assumption but I prefer to be safe rather than sorry as it gives the bees the very best chance of a good build-up in the spring.

I assume you have a copy of the FERA booklet on "Managing Varroa"? Available for download on-line, though your BKA may be able to get hold of hard copies for distribition; in conjunction with a visiting speaker on the health subject usually. Another source sometimes is the local Seasonal Bee Inspector.

I assume you have a copy of the FERA booklet on "Managing Varroa"? Available for download on-line, though your BKA may be able to get hold of hard copies for distribition; in conjunction with a visiting speaker on the health subject usually.by Afermo

Yes thank you it is a good document - got the hard copy from my course (and they had a visiting speaker) and downloaded one onto the pc - will have another look at it though as it is easy to forget. There is a lot to take in on the first year!
And so many differences of opinion! And so many decisions to make.

Latest posts

Back