Apiguard use by.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vergilius

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6ish
I have a load of Apiguard from my first beekeeping stint that went out of date in 2016. It has been stored in its original packaging in a cool, dry place. Is that use by to be observed or ignored?

Cheers.
Ben

Would you use a medicine for yourself that was out of date?
Might be OK, but efficacy has only been proven up to the expiry date.
For the cost involved, I’d bin it and buy a new lot

think I'll give up on trying to educate other forum members why we have specific requirements for the regulation of medicines. There is no need. I hadn't appreciated it was home to so many knowledgeable world recognised articulate experts in the field

think I'll give up on trying to educate other forum members why we have specific requirements for the regulation of medicines. There is no need. I hadn't appreciated it was home to so many knowledgeable world recognised articulate experts in the field
Glad to hear the lectures are over o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

My Dad had a bottle of Friar's Balsam in the cupboard that was probably 30 years old, his girlfriend went nuts when he used it. He has also used an equally old bottle of TCP; He is from the make do and mend generation and does not like to throw away anything that could be useful!

When it comes to most over the counter medications, an expired use by date may reduce the efficacy, but it's highly unlikely to cause you any harm. If it's not working you'll soon notice and go out and buy a new batch.

I know this sounds a little cynical, but I wonder if the manufacturers are tempted to apply an expiry date which is beneficial to their bottom line and very little to do with efficacy, especially if they are the single licensed supplier.

Latest posts

Back