Apiguard advice please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apiguard fumes are heavier than air so that they sink downwards. If the tray is below the top brood box there will probably be less fumes and more chance for varroa to survive.

Our association always advises keeping the inspection board fully inserted and blocking the hole at the back of the board with rags just to keep the fumes in so that the fumes don't get out either the gap or through the OMF.

Thymol lost out of the hive is wasted. It will be removed eventually but is only effective while it is inside the hive. I always aim for some bearding - and that may require action if excessive in very hot weather - but not extreme bearding!. They likely settle down as the thymol vapour concentration reduces. Ineffective treatment is usually due to insufficient thymol concentration, but at the other extreme brood loss (or even abscondment) can be the outcome - usually an overdose situation by bulk users.

When I used to run brood and a half and use apiguard I always just put the tray between the boxes with no eke. Worked a treat.

Thanks drex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back