apidea behaviour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burren

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 nationals/ 3 apideas
Hi all
I presently have 3 apideas on the go.
AP 1, made on 25/5/15 with sealed queen cell, queen found to be laying a few days ago, all well.

Ap 2 and 3 made a few days ago, also with sealed queen cell. They had been out flying nicely for last two days. Today i checked on them at 8am, just external look ( was in the garden hanging out the washing!)

Suprised to see a few out on the sides and top of apidea 2 and a few looking dozy and a couple dead next to apidea so early in the day. Temp was 8-10 degs. The dead few I thought may be they had carried them out as they had, had a couple of days in the dark shed previous to being put in the garden ( yes had fondant and water sprays).

A couple were out also on apidea 3, also slow and dozy. Had to be the temp I thought, but why were they out ?....

Watched the two apidea on and off today and temp out got to 11 degs tops. 15-20 more came out and just hundled together heads together forming a circle or separate dotted around sides and top of the two boxes not moving or moving very slowly. Very strange behaviour, if it was too cold for them, why were they out?

Ap 1 was not showing this behaviour at all? Any ideas, thanks

Back