Api melter for heather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deemann1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+ nucs
Is it possible to use a apimelter for separation of heather honey and wax
Or would it just spoil the honey

The person to DM would be @BMH Laurence Edwards of Black Mountain Honey, he uses the honey loosener, then the 20 frame radial to 4 frame auto tangential Abelo extractor, then the Abelo cappings spinner. That is his setup for the Heather.

Heather honey of all the honey's, is very temperature sensitive and taste is affected if heat and if freeze. Think it would spoil the honey.
Absolutely, also it doesn't run so won't want to drop away from the wax by gravity.

Iv been told that alot of commercial heather men heat the heather to 60 to stop it fermenting

Yes. I freeze mine
All my honey is being kept in buckets in a cellar and being kept cool if we get Heather I will do the same.
I was speaking to a beefarmer from Africa some weeks ago they started a new venture and lost all there honey to fermentation last year, he's only a young enthusiastic chap like me and it was quite upsetting to hear after all the hard work he had put in.
Hence me using a cellar and he has done something similar.

All my honey is being kept in buckets in a cellar and being kept cool if we get Heather I will do the same.
I was speaking to a beefarmer from Africa some weeks ago they started a new venture and lost all there honey to fermentation last year, he's only a young enthusiastic chap like me and it was quite upsetting to hear after all the hard work he had put in.
Just sell it straight away.

Bit difficult keeping honey cool in Africa without moving it to the top of Kilimanjaro or refrigerating it ! Mind you, there's not a lot of heather in Africa ...

Bit difficult keeping honey cool in Africa without moving it to the top of Kilimanjaro or refrigerating it ! Mind you, there's not a lot of heather in Africa ...
There’s the giant stuff. I hiked through a fair bit on my way to the top of Kili but if I remember it’s fairly high up and too cold for honey bees

There’s the giant stuff. I hiked through a fair bit on my way to the top of Kili but if I remember it’s fairly high up and too cold for honey bees
Ahh yes ....mind you, if they could be persuaded to work it, there would be a ready market for my patent bee woolly leg warmers !

I could have done with those. I had a Norwegian top notch sleeping bag and used to wake up with ice on my face. If I had a pee in my bottle through the night I had to keep it in my bag or I couldn’t empty it in the morning.

Back