Anti varroa genes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
To some high hygienic genes have bee clear thing 10 years ago.

Today things are not any more so clear

Erik Österlund 2008: VSH-trait is governed by two genes. As the genes comes in double (in two sets of chromosomes) there are two pair of genes, which makes four alleles (variants of genes).
6. The alleles that contribute to VSH are additive, not recessive or dominant. Two is better than one, etc.
7. Two alleles in a bee makes it show the VSH trait in such a strong way the colony acts as resistant
http://www.resistantbees.com/vsh_e.html

Boutin S1, Alburaki M2,3, Mercier PL4, Giovenazzo P5, Derome N6,7.
july 2015
Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Hygienic behavior is a complex, genetically-based quantitative trait that serves as a key defense mechanism against parasites and diseases in Apis mellifera. Yet, the genomic basis and functional pathways involved in the initiation of this behavior are still unclear. Deciphering the genomic basis of hygienic behavior is a prerequisite to developing an extensive repertoire of genetic markers associated to the performance level of this quantitative trait. To fill this knowledge gap, we performed an RNA-seq on brain samples of 25 honeybees per hives from five hygienic and three non-hygienic hives.

RESULTS:

This analysis revealed that a limited number of functional genes are involved in honeybee hygienic behavior. The genes identified, and especially their location in the honeybee genome, are consistent with previous findings. Indeed, the genomic sequences of most differentially expressed genes were found on the majority of the QTL regions associated to the hygienic behavior described in previous studies. According to the Gene Ontology annotation, 15 genes are linked to the GO-terms DNA or nucleotide binding, indicating a possible role of these genes in transcription regulation. Furthermore, GO-category enrichment analysis revealed that electron carrier activity is over-represented, involving only genes belonging to the cytochrome P450. Cytochrome P450 enzymes' overexpression can be explained by a disturbance in the regulation of expression induced by changes in transcription regulation or sensitivity to xenobiotics. Over-expressed cytochrome P450 enzymes could potentially degrade the odorant pheromones or chemicals that normally signal the presence of a diseased brood before activation of the removal process thereby inhibit hygienic behavior.

CONCLUSIONS:

These findings improve our understanding on the genetics basis of the hygienic behavior. Our results show that hygienic behavior relies on a limited set of genes linked to different regulation patterns (expression level and biological processes) associated with an over-expression of cytochrome P450 genes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26149072

Last edited:
Google has quite much researches about anti varroa genes. Look more. Key words varroa resistant or varroa tolerant genes.

I did not see mentionings about virus A or about Virus B how they work with genes....yet.

Last edited:
Google has quite much researches about anti varroa genes. Look more. Key words varroa resistant or varroa tolerant genes.

I did not see mentionings about virus A or about Virus B how they work with genes....yet.

Thanks Finman, we'd be lost I'm our Google searches without you.

Do you need a degree ?

To lift my leg?

It depends how high I am going to piss

Here are 8 angles

angles5-12.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Finman View Post
I did not see mentionings about virus A or about Virus B how they work with genes

A "super infection" of DWV "B" blocks any infection of DWV "A"

DWV "B" although having a direct effect on the life span of the worker bee does not show the symptoms of deformed wing formation associated with DWV "A"

It is nothing to do with the inheritance of genes in the honeybee.

Some it would seem need to read more to better understand how scientific reporting works and perhaps then they will learn... the lessons to be learned..... instead of banging on about their University degrees undertaken in the second half of the last century!

Yeghes da

Spivak selected bees that were highly hygienic for her Minnesota Hygienic Italian stock. When she got some VSH queens, she tested them for hygienic behavior and found them to be even more hygienic than her selected stock. This suggests that the basic 2 genes for hygienic behavior are present in VSH bees plus one or more additional genes that ramp up the behavior to a level higher than the two genes for hygienic cleaning.

It is good to see the number of conversations on this forum about bee genetics including mite resistance and tolerance traits. I've seen conversations about:
Brood Breaks
Varroa Sensitive Hygiene
Allogrooming
Mite Mauling
Mite entombment
Reduced days to worker maturity
Alternate DWV types that affect worker survival

Spivak selected bees that were highly hygienic for her Minnesota Hygienic Italian stock. When she got some VSH queens, she tested them for hygienic behavior and found them to be even more hygienic than her selected stock. This suggests that the basic 2 genes for hygienic behavior are present in VSH bees plus one or more additional genes that ramp up the behavior to a level higher than the two genes for hygienic cleaning.

It is good to see the number of conversations on this forum about bee genetics including mite resistance and tolerance traits. I've seen conversations about:
Brood Breaks
Varroa Sensitive Hygiene
Allogrooming
Mite Mauling
Mite entombment
Alternate DWV types that affect worker survival

Which lab carried out the gene sequencing... as I have not found anything specific in the published literature relative to a gene sequence that leads to hygienic behavior in honeybees?

Yeghes da

*** as I have not found anything specific in the published literature relative to a gene sequence that leads to hygienic behavior in honeybees?

Yeghes da

Important is to know, that when you buy a hygiened Queen, its daughters do not inherit the skill on the middle of ordinary hives.

Is the opposite angles option the splits, you would have a hard job doing that one and having a wee

Brood Breaks
Varroa Sensitive Hygiene
Allogrooming
Mite Mauling
Mite entombment

I've seen no 'conversations' - just you banging on and on about it

If you want to see a real anti varroa colony come and have a look at one of mine if you dare. Nasty bunch of girls that have very low levels of varroa, they have never had any disease of any kind, good honey producers. I have never breed from them and split and re unit. The only reason they are still there is because they don't follow

If you want to see a real anti varroa colony come and have a look at one of mine if you dare. Nasty bunch of girls that have very low levels of varroa, they have never had any disease of any kind, good honey producers. I have never breed from them and split and re unit. The only reason they are still there is because they don't follow

Flow hive included

Latest posts

Back