Another plant identification thread

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torq

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 Hives, 4 Nucs.
Hi Guys,
saw this plant being worked heavily by the bees in Dublin Zoo. In fact I've never seen anything being worked so hard. I couldn't tell if it's a shrub as it was so dense. All I can provide is the few bad pics (I've only a phone camera now, thanks to my 3yr old son!) and that the stems grow very long like a briar and that it has very fine hair like spines that stick into your fingers as soon as you touch them.

plant.JPG

plant2.JPG

plant3.JPG

Possibly Itea Virginica.

Looks like Carnivorous Giganticus.......was any trace ever found of the little girl in Pic 2 ?

was any trace ever found of the little girl in Pic 2 ?

Yep, she's in the living room watching "Ben and Holly's little kingdom" and starting school Tuesday week.

Still no idea what the plant is though. It could be African as it's in the "African plains" area of the zoo and they like to keep the habitat as close to home as is possible for the animals.

Definitely an Itea. ( With my 35+ years professional horticulturalist hat on. And yes, I do still make errors! )

Definitely an Itea. ( With my 35+ years professional horticulturalist hat on. And yes, I do still make errors! )

I've 20+ years in IT and constantly get it wrong!! The photos I've found of Itea Virginica all look like the one linked below. There are similarities but they look to be smooth stalked where the plant I found is spined, the mid rib on each leaf is barbed like a briar. Also the flowers are different, the unidentified ones have 4 small petals whereas the Itea ones have much larger petals and in a greater number.

http://gardeninginthemud.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/june-16-2010-photos-016.jpg

Do you think I remember any of the plant biology I studied for my degree? Not a bit!

Why don't you ring the zoo to ask.

Their automated answering message is great. Please do not ask to speak to Mr Lyons! I'll be dropping them an email to contact the head gardener/ grounds keeper. I also want to get some suckers from their old variety globe artichokes.

There are no secrets on the internet!

Though no personal contacts for the zoo are listed. I've found the head gardeners correct title, his name and email address. Will be dropping him a mail tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back