Another nuc Topic!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shabro

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well for some reason i've decided to have a go at building a nuc box, and I bought ( rightly or wrongly) an 8x4 sheet of 18mm ply.
So my question is does anyone have a cutting list for using 18mm ply?

thanks

shabro

C'mon, you have hives already. The nuc is just a narrower version of them. same length, diferent width depending on how many of what particlar source of frame you have (beware of making one to fit some cheap Hoffman frames or frames with spacers may not fit the box).

You will have plenty of spare, should you make a mistake!

I do agree, but I'm one of those funny gits who doesnt like making mistakes..... rather I'd use something tried and tested, but yes you are right its only half a brood box, I'll go measure up....

Last edited:
Try Hedgerow Pete's videos. It's a pretty good guide to what you're aiming for.

I'm one of those funny gits who doesnt like making mistakes.....

That's OK.

In that caseI would suggest you make the sides just like a normal brood box.

The ends can be cut a lttle longer than needed and dropped into routed slots in the sides.

A little more work, but a better construction than butt jointed boxes. The grooves can be deeper than actually required and can be filleted on one side, or both, to adjust the width if ever the width needs expanding slightly.

No need for glue in the joints as the box will remain square and strong using screws as fixings. It may be called 'belt and braces', but would avoid most of the costly panel rejection errors where butt joints are concerned. Even out-of-square pieces can easily be trued up, with no visible evidence of there ever having been a slight discrepancy with a saw or marking up.

Any end grain break-out will be covered up within the side panel grooves, so the boxes will last longer.

Simple precautions within the design, if you are not so confident with your cutting, can avoid a lot of small problems later.

RAB

Also make sure its the inside measurements you're following as 18mm ply is thinner than most timber boxes by a sliver, its correct bee spaces round the frames you want .

Well I've made a start, bottom box is made, I just wish I had a table saw....

Well I've made a start, bottom box is made, I just wish I had a table saw....
welcome to the world of DIY if only !!!!. A skill saw will do the job at a fraction of the price of a table saw, probably pick one up for £30, you just need a flat straight bit of wood as a guide.

Here's tip making sure you make them true and the right size for the frames.

Build a former, a box with no lid or sides the same external size as the internal space of the hive brood box perhap a few mm taller.

You make this box out of heavy 19mm or greater MDF and cross brace it true and square. Take your time to get this within 1/2mm. all round

You now can use this check your parts for size and to hold them (with g clamps) while assembling the hive parts.

quite abit of effort up front but...

Its one those ... I wish i thought of that at the beggining ideas :)

I suppose this has been mentioned elsewhere

Last edited:
Do you have a router? If so you can emulate planer, table saw and most other wood-working power tools, given a bit of time for jigs and slower work rates.

Well for some reason i've decided to have a go at building a nuc box, and I bought ( rightly or wrongly) an 8x4 sheet of 18mm ply.
So my question is does anyone have a cutting list for using 18mm ply?

thanks

shabro

Try this ...
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/roger_nuc_box.html
It is for 19mm ply but if you're not using a table saw or router it will be close enough :coolgleamA:

Back