Angle for solar extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchdale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi
What angle should a solar extractor be from horizontal? One of the plans I have suggest 15 degrees. Is this correct? It does seem less than I might have expected. I need to catch all the sun I have!

It will depend on your lattitude for maximum collected insolation. But there will be other factors such as draining away the wax. I would think direction is likely more important than the actual angle from the horizontal.

RAB

in winter 16 degrees from verticle... that is a steep angle
in spring /autumn 40 degrees from verticle... average house roof pitch is 35 degrees
in summer 64 degrees from verticle..... getting on for flat!... horizontal

this is for our latitude 52 degrees above the equator

point south towards sun at noon, remembering to knock off 1 hour from BST

use 2 sheets of glass on your melter, but NOT double glazed panels as there have an insulating inert gas infill! especially Q glass ones

Last edited:
Thank you
As I thought
I'll find a few bricks to change the angle throughout the year.

I'll find a few bricks to change the angle throughout the year.

I wouldn't bother.

in winter 16 degrees from verticle... that is a steep angle

I doubt there are many who would attempt to melt wax in a solar extractor in the depths of winter in the UK!!

Just be practical about it. Other factors are more important.

RAB

Made quite a few solar water heaters over the years...... even had tilting and tracking mechanisms.......... but on an average point towards south by south east at around 50 degrees from vertical seems to be a good position.

any one got plans for a steam wax extractor?

Back