Anatomy of Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmatthews

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am in the process of starting beekeeping. This may seem like a silly question but exactly how many legs do honey bees have? I've googled it and some sites said four others six, I'm a bit confused..:thanks:

Last edited:
I am in the process of starting beekeeping. This may seem like a silly question but exactly how many legs do honey bees have? I've googled it and some sites said four others six, I'm a bit confused..:thanks:

4 wings and 6 legs

All insects have 6 legs.

Thank you :) I wonder why some of those sites sites 4 legs?

Thank you :) I wonder why some of those sites sites 4 legs?

Finman is correct; six legs and four wings. Now just a wee question which is too easy, why do bees have four wings (two pairs) when many insects of a similar size have but one large pair?

Finman is correct; six legs and four wings. Now just a wee question which is too easy, why do bees have four wings (two pairs) when many insects of a similar size have but one large pair?

Because they do :rolleyes:.. they also have three parts to there body, why is that..:spy:

The default is two pairs of wings for winged insects (some insects never ever had wings eg silverfish and some like Braula and some flightless midges are secondarily wingless) . diptera (flies) appear to ony have one pair (the other pair have been modified to become halteres). You sometimes get mutant fruit flies with two pairs of wings. The forewings of beetles are hardened and used as wing cases (elytra) protecting the hind wings which are used in flying. Dragonflies have two pairs of wings which operate independently while moths, butterlfies and bees hook the hind and front wings together in flight

Next question: How many times honeybee wraps its wings in one second?

How long five honeybees take time to flye one kilometre.

Last edited:
Be interested where you saw/found it said that bees have 4 legs?

Latest posts

Back