An alternative to oxalic - it's the real thing!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neigh, no problem. The threads strayed off course but dont be foaled into stirr up more trouble, there's no point (to point) it wont be furlong, we'll rein it in and return to the mane ( three day) event.
Sorry, thats a bit lame.

No, it was a reasoned action - he'd seen the article on coke as an insecticide and thought the citric and phosphoric acids could be a viable alternative to Oxalic. Apparently he has had a good mite drop on the one hive he tried it on, but now needs to structure the treatment for comparison.

Phosphoric may not be "organic" but is certainly readily metabolised - it was part of the original Coke recipe because "phosphorous aids bone growth".

I have used a lot of phosphoric acid for cleaning food factory pipelines. It is a good descaler, has a certain amount of detergency and is a "food supplement" at low levels.

All in all, Phosphoric may well be a good alternative to Oxalic; which is a nastier acid altogether. I have used Oxalic in other cleaners - for example it is very good for removing iron oxide dust deposits from brake liners and is widely used to clean the outside of railway carriages. But, it has a bad reputation as an irritant and is toxic to beekeepers if not bees.

Oh, and the joke about spermicides should include the specially designed applicator

C'Mon this is becoming a bit of a mare.
I can't believe you are stallion this <OK OK that was bad :-( >

I'm thinking of starting a new burger chain, going to call it the "Grand National".

Tune in next week for jokes on race!

One more.

Hamburgers is an anagram of "Shergar Bum"

Latest posts

Back