Almost the Solstice...and the year starts to turn

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's been a while since I posted. Been so completely busy with main work and the bees I've hardly had a spare moment. But these last few weekends I've managed to find some time to relax, switch off and recharge the batteries. Only three more days in work then a good 12 days off.

The bees went into winter looking strong and thrived on the late flowering Ivy. Only last weekend they were out flying strongly.

The only damage so far was an entire apiary's roofs blown off in the last storm - my fault for forgetting to re-attach the straps to the poly roofs and the apiary is probably one of the most sheltered too ! The bees on some colonies were just peaking over the crown boards but allowed me to return the roofs with not one flying up to greet me.

The frame making has been all go, along with a long overdue treatment of all spare kit with preservative to keep the weather out. I need to find a cheaper supplier of creocote - yes shock horror I use the stuff - but if left on for a few months to weather the boxes don't affect the bees in any way.

In keeping abreast of the news, I read that Rowse are no longer buying British honey - preferring to rely on imported overseas honey.

This is a shame and reminds me I need to finish my article on supermarket honey.....!

KR

S

Shame about Rowse, they've gone a long way from their beginnings as one of the first large beekeeping enterprises in the uk

Shame about Rowse, they've gone a long way from their beginnings as one of the first large beekeeping enterprises in the uk
To become packers of blends of EU and Non-EU honey sold to the undiscerning public in our major supermarkets ... including Pure Organic Honey that is, apparently, Soil association certified ... not sure what the origin is as it does not state on the front label ... a snip at £4.45 for 340gms ...

https://www.realfoods.co.uk/product/6905/organic-squeezable-pure-honey

Also, I wonder how many small to medium operators are left in the lurch a bit after investing in handling gear specifically to supply honey to Rowse in barrels?

Also, I wonder how many small to medium operators are left in the lurch a bit after investing in handling gear specifically to supply honey to Rowse in barrels?
They won't care ... their products are supermarket driven and I suspect that the pressure to maintain stock, sales and the retailers profit marging have outweighed any decisision related to conscience. All the more important for small producers seeking their own brand sales outside of their bulk sales. There are plenty of smaller retailers and other outlets for artisan honey if it is well presented and labelled it will sell - accepting that it's more time consuming to jar and label than sell in tubs but ... if the wholesale market is diminishing then other avenues must be found.

And the labelling of foreign honeys correctly needs to come to the fore in Trading Standards investigations.

And the labelling of foreign honeys correctly needs to come to the fore in Trading Standards investigations.
That is the most important part. Labels MUST comply with UK law, but it needs a strong TS system to do that and as we all know they don't have the budget!

Interesting my one line comment on Rowse has generated the most comments !

I was in a supermarket the other day and I see Rowse are using a shelf edge tray to hold 6 jars with the strapline 'Protecting Bees & Beekeepers' on it.

What the poor uneducated consumer doesn't realise is it's not local beekeepers or beefarmers that are being helped - it's overseas suppliers selling at rock bottom. Not really protecting the bees and beekeepers of the UK is it ?

Of course I get that Rowse are a commercial operation, owned by a foreign owned conglomerate now, the only thing they really seem to support is the Beefarmer Apprenticeship scheme, but when they don't buy any of their honey, it seems a bit of a nod to 'sustainability' rather than really supporting the sector.

That is the most important part. Labels MUST comply with UK law, but it needs a strong TS system to do that and as we all know they don't have the budget!
Just a thought - what sort of budget would they need to simply make press releases stating plainly that X brands/labels don't comply with the law of UK but that they don't have the budget to take them to court - ah I know its 'political will".

Just a thought - what sort of budget would they need to simply make press releases stating plainly that X brands/labels don't comply with the law of UK but that they don't have the budget to take them to court - ah I know its 'political will".
They could of course have a public information notice on TV (Dave Prowse comes to mind but unfortunately he popped his clogs last year) explaining to the public that the use of "RAW" is not allowed in the UK and that many large sellers are flouting the law! :laughing-smiley-014

They could of course have a public information notice on TV (Dave Prowse comes to mind but unfortunately he popped his clogs last year) explaining to the public that the use of "RAW" is not allowed in the UK and that many large sellers are flouting the law! :laughing-smiley-014
Thats a really good idea. Who do "the collective we" know with suitable TV connections?

Back