Almost starved my A/S to death

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Did an A/s last Tuesday, big lesson learned today, there was a mixture of brood and stores. Had a quick peek today mainly to check for any extra Q cells - the whole hive was operating in slow motion, quite a bit of brood had been uncapped no doubt searching for fodder.
About 100 dead bees and several grubs lying on the floor. I am so pleased I had a look in.

Added 2 frames of stores from another hive amongst them and returned this evening with a feeder.

Hoping we have dodged this bullet.

Well done( on saving them!), a timely reminder for others too, if they've split hives always to make sure each bit has enough stores to last until the next inspection, bearing in mind one bit of the split invariably looses its foraging force for a while.

Last edited:
Every frame (but one) was left with food and some pollen on only 6 days ago, they are on the OSR. I only gave the original/swarmed hive 1 frame of brood and they kept the supers. However thinking about it, as you say the brood box would have very little coming in - but heaps of brood to feed and bring on (some would be day old eggs). Plus many hungry young mouths. Big lesson learned!

Back