almost clear honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkranger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 Nats and 1 tbh
Bottled some honey today which after extraction has been double filtered and left to stand to eradicate any bubbles. Looks fine in jars apart from the odd jar which appears to have a small , what I can only describe as whisp of something within - looks like a small cloud.

Any suggestions please or methods to eradicate it.

When my honey starts to crystallise it takes on a cloudy appearance but then it also starts to thicken and if you have just filtered it this may not be the case as it will also thicken and make filtering difficult if a fine filter is used.

It may pass through if like me your filter’s are course and even more course these course filters also allow through plenty of pollen, although I dont know how fine they have to be to stop pollen but if the honey has plenty of pollen in it this can show the honey to be cloudy.

These jars may be the last you filled from the settling tank and may have just a wisp of froth in them. Leave for 24 hours in a warm place and if that is the cause it will have risen to the top and can be skimmed off.

Agree with MJBee. Not enough inforrmation on 'how much ' and what size settling vessel. Could be self-inflicted aggravation on the part of the beekeeper not thinking about ithard enough.

When my honey starts to crystallise it takes on a cloudy appearance but then it also starts to thicken and if you have just filtered it this may not be the case as it will also thicken and make filtering difficult if a fine filter is used.

It may pass through if like me your filter’s are course and even more course these course filters also allow through plenty of pollen, although I dont know how fine they have to be to stop pollen but if the honey has plenty of pollen in it this can show the honey to be cloudy.

but then some customers are buying the honey for the pollen content...So coarse filtering and cloudiness can be value add.

These jars may be the last you filled from the settling tank and may have just a wisp of froth in them. Leave for 24 hours in a warm place and if that is the cause it will have risen to the top and can be skimmed off.

Yes thats a good point and perhaps on the nail.

Agree with MJBee. Not enough inforrmation on 'how much ' and what size settling vessel. Could be self-inflicted aggravation on the part of the beekeeper not thinking about ithard enough.

How much - in any jar maybe half a teaspoon. Not in a lump but more like a whisp of smoke in appearance. Don't think it's bubbles and pretty sure that it's not scum as occurred before I got anywhere near the top of the tank's contents. Not sure I understand what difference the size of the settling tank might have nor, me not thinking hard enough. I am a second year beekeeper and didn't encounter this last year but thought that another member might have. Thought that was what the forum was for - obviously not!

I just put some in jars and there is a 'whip' like area - I think it is a small area of honey that has started to set, I noticed,it at the bottom of a tub of honey that had been filtered but not jarred - I warmed it slightly _ and most of it disappeared, but I didn't leave it quite long enough to get rid of all of it.

Latest posts

Back