Aggressive bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With respect sugarbush your experience and mine are utterly different due to climatic factors.

In NE Scotland I had one experience of laying workers from some 15 years of running between 60 to 80 boxes. My mentor a well respected honey farmer thought he had seen it a few times but not very often at all.

However I would agree if left alone to be utterly queenless (in it's self a rarity) laying workers will develop.

The question though is why would a colony be in that condition?

PH

However I would agree if left alone to be utterly queenless (in it's self a rarity) laying workers will develop.

The question though is why would a colony be in that condition?

PH

For a number of factors; No disrespect to the OP but, 1st being inexperience of the beek in recognizing the situation.

I understand the climatic differences. I can open mate a queen around here until late August successfully under normal weather circumstances.

If the first attempt at supersedure resulted in a poorly mated queen who subsequently failed, and the second attempt resulted in an unsuccessful mating, it could have resulted in a laying worker, but I don't think the timeline is sufficiently long enough to make that conclusion.

I understand the climatic differences. I can open mate a queen around here until late August successfully under normal weather circumstances.

About the same as here then in that respect,or even well into september most times.

I have had queenless colonys go laying worker in under two weeks before now....mainly the lighter coloured bees.

Latest posts

Back