AFB spores in Beeswax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/304012435_Beeswax_Production_Properties_Composition_Control

Stumbled upon this when researching for an article on bee disease....
I buy my foundation from a most highly respected supplier in Gloucestershire who say they only supply English beeswax.....

What precautions are taken to prevent AFB spores getting into the wax... heating to 120 degrees at some incredible pressure.... and what about imported wax that comes from areas where AFB is a common problem???

Plastic foundation looks inviting under such circumstances!

Your views welcome... but please kick the ball and not the player!!

As far as I know, AFB has not been found to spread via foundations.

Foundation wax is not heated to 120C.

but please kick the ball and not the player!!

Awwww you're no fun any more :).
It's a book, not peer reviewed science. If AFB spores are in the wax they are not readily accessible to the bees. IIRC you need at least 10 spores per larvae to generate infection, but don't quote me on that.

no need to worry its not an issue

IT has been researched, that different sellers in Germany, Denmark, Austria and Shwizerland 70% out of foundations had AFB spores.

The melting process used in production of foundation inactivates the spores. This was texted and written about in Gleanings about 30 years ago when foundation shipped to a caribbean island that was AFB free was shown to never develop AFB even when heavily contaminated combs were made into foundation and used in colonies on the island.

I would never melt beeswax at temps of 120C. Research from the 1960's showed that heating to temps over 180F/82C "burn" the wax by causing volatile components to evaporate and as temps rise, by damaging the remaining wax similar to caramelization of sugar.

We could have a thread on methods of processing beeswax. I've got a couple that are very effective producing exceptionally high quality wax. I'm sure others have worked out methods that are similarly effective.

Spores are inert once encased in wax.

Since that's the reason for not feeding swarms that may carry AFB contaminated honey I'd say you're right, it certainly seems it's not an issue if the spores are encased in wax.

Too much of a risk if you ask me,i would like a response from any of the leading foundation suppliers in the uk.

The answer should be already clear. There are many researches about the issue. All give the same answer.

And there is a method, how to save bees from AFB. Make an artificial swarm and put bees on foundations.

Last edited:
The answer should be already clear. There are many researches about the issue. All give the same answer.

And there is a method, how to save bees from AFB. Make an artificial swarm and put bees on foundations.

How do they detect afb in the foundation if it doesn't grow?

What is PCR?

Polymerase Chain Reaction. As Erica says it's method of increasing the amount of DNA in a sample. More specifically it only amplifies the specific DNA that you want. In AFP spores, for instance, you would use primers specific to a piece of DNA that was only found in AFB.
There are other ways as well

Back