AFB North London

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Just a Heads up that a possible AFB has been found in Hampsted North London ,and as North London has nearly 600 registered hives per 10km square plus numerous unregistered or natural beekeepers it could spread alarmingly

Last edited:
Just a Heads up that a possible AFB has been found in Hampsted North London ,and as North London has nearly 600 registered hives per 10km square plus numerous unregistered or natural beekeepers it could spread alarmingly

If confirmed, will you let us know, please, MM? I am on a list with many natural beekeepers and could give them the heads up.

Some will check, I'm sure.

Oh goodness, that's terrible news. I'm in Highgate, so very close. We had an EFB warning last week...
Need to have a proper go through my hives today, really hope that it is contained, we have had a cracking year - it'd be awful to end it so badly.

Don't panic . Rumours of AFB occur regularly and usually turn out to be false and more a case of chinese whispers. Check on Beebase and you will find that the only case of notifiable disease in Greater London found in August was one case of EFB in 10 mile square TQ28. There has only been 3 cases of AFB recorded this year and that was in square TQ26 (Epsom and Sutton) and that was back in June. All known beekeepers (and they know where most of you are!) close to any confirmed notifiable outbreak are always contacted and your bees inspected.

Thanks, I needed to inspect my hives anyway today. I was more thorough than usual, there was nothing that concerned me thank goodness. Let's hope it stays that way! It's a little unnerving to hear that AFB is (maybe) so close though, I'll be on my guard.

The EFB warning was for 3km from us - that was the 18th August.

Latest posts

Back