advice needed.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shabro

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just united a queenless cast with a swarm that arrived in my bait hive, so not knowing if there is a queen in there and to try and help it along ( rightly or wrongly ) I have put in with it a frame with brood at all stages.
I they were to start drawing out queen cells, is it now too late in the season?

Most swarms have a queen of some sort, the definition of a cast is a swarm with a virgin queen, how do you know they were queenless ?

you will be surprised at how late in the year bees will supercede plenty of time left yet.

so you killed the queen then added a frame of eggs?
Why?

sorry I havent explained this very well, I killed the virgin queen in the small cast to unite with the swarm. I then put a frame of brood in to hopefully keep them all there and give them a boost. I'm just wondering if they did happen to draw queen cells.
If I'm doing this totally wrong please say, I'm all ears.

Ahh all becomes clear lol

What you have done wont do any harm, if there is no queen they will make one if there is a queen the brood will develop normally.

Lumping swarms together is quite a good idea if they are small and you want more robust numbers. I know of a beekeeper who's renowned for putting prime swarms together to make huge colonies for building sections, works for him !

Latest posts

Back