Advice needed, odd brood cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonwig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Second year beekeepers, the cappings in part of one hive (not all) had to us a strange appearance, not seen before.

Copy of photo attached. I opened a few cells and perfectly normal (to my eyes) larvae, either ready to emerge or well developed were present.

Uncapped brood and eggs were seen and normal.

We are close to the EFB outbreak in Harrogate, but as far as I can tell from the guidance this isn't EFB, but could be wrong.

Any thoughts as to the cause appreciated, or is this just normal variation?

I have emailed the SBI but would be interested in comments.

Thanks all

Simon

Looks normal to me. The darker areas contain bees soon to emerge

Mine always look like that...Out of interest, what do they usually look like in your hives?

Hi

The outer ones in the picture are what I call normal. the lighter ones I'm concerned about. Opening some like that had larvae still in the white stage, so not about to emerge.

Simon

HI what your seeing looks to me like an age ring in the brrod pattern and nothing to worry abot at all.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

Quick replies from local bee inspectors agree. Just a bit paranoid by EFB abut 5 miles away so better to ask and be safe than ignore.

Simon

First recognise what healthy brood looks like (white glistening segmented larvae in C shape, and sealed larvae with biscuit coloured, slightly raised dry cappings).

EFB is mainly a disease that kills the larvae before the cell is sealed (although death can occur after sealing). Shake the bees off the comb (into a space within the brood chamber) and look for larvae in unusual positions in the cell, discoloration, loss of segmentation, meltdown, the "chalky" gut. The smell (which may not be detected) is due to decomposition by secondary bacteria. There is a good illustrated advisory leaflet on Foulbrood on Beebase.

Just a bit paranoid by EFB abut 5 miles away

As MBK.

Rest assured it is not a sign of EFB if there are developing larvae/pupae in the cells.

Latest posts

Back