Adams Feeder bowl stuck

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mart_got_hives

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
OK folks I've been giving my bees some 2:1 sugar syrup to get them ready for the winter. They've been happily drinking it for a couple of weeks but yesterday when I went to check the syrup level I found it had begun to crystalise.

The level of wet syrup being low I decided to remove the bowl things to let the bees have freedom of the whole feeders to clean them up for me but in one the bowl is now quite firmly stuck. any ideas on how to free it up? I've tried prizing it up and even giving it a knock but no joy -the crystalised sugar appear to have it stuck fast.

1)Empty it?

2)Remove it from hive?

I) and 2) maybe the other way round.

3) soak in hot water or even under a hose pie, as appropriate, to dissolve sugar?

Job done?

Not too dificult?

Wound up digging it out with the hive tool. Think I'll give em a couple of days to clean up before refeeding.

OK folks I've been giving my bees some 2:1 sugar syrup ... but yesterday when I went to check the syrup level I found it had begun to crystalise.

The level of wet syrup being low ...

It really shouldn't be crystallising. (unless you have been spilling or splashing it outside the feeder, where the bees can't clear it up)
Are you sure you have the recipe correct?
2 pounds of sugar + 1 pint of water ...

It really shouldn't be crystallising. (unless you have been spilling or splashing it outside the feeder, where the bees can't clear it up)
Are you sure you have the recipe correct?
2 pounds of sugar + 1 pint of water ...

i suspect he has used 2kg to 1litre, I often found that crystalises out personally i prefer the imperial ratio

Ah yes you're both right I have been using 2KG sugar to 1 litre of water. For the next batch I shall use 2 lb sugar per pint of water.

Back