Abelo varroa floor with wire screen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been given an Abelo floor with the new stainless steel grid - a very welcome gift, and an excellent floor. I much prefer it to the mesh floor with the metal strips to the sides - and for those worrying about ‘sagging’ or bulging mesh floors - these are flat and sturdy.

I lie awake at nights fretting about my saggy mesh floors......
Need to purchase a few more floors myself so will look forward to seeing the new design.
Just noticed, as I did a few floor swaps today, that some of my Paynes mesh floors have now rusted and split open in places.

Whether rigid or saggy, split or rusty, neither the Paynes nor the Abelo floor will fit into my National hive carrier.

Manley, Honey Farming, 1946, page 61: for transport... the closure of the entrance is quite a troublesome business when floors project, as anyone will very soon find out who tries to pack up a number of stocks in hives with such floors. With the short floor the job is simple, rapid and easy.

The passage of time has not altered that truth.

Whether rigid or saggy, split or rusty, neither the Paynes nor the Abelo floor will fit into my National hive carrier. ...

Yes, I can see the small landing board might be a problem for some. It depends on your set-up. I know of somebody who prefers Smiths because Nationals don’t fit so well in his trailer. It’s your personal preference, and not a fault of the floor or the hive.

Whether rigid or saggy, split or rusty, neither the Paynes nor the Abelo floor will fit into my National hive carrier.

Manley, Honey Farming, 1946, page 61: for transport... the closure of the entrance is quite a troublesome business when floors project, as anyone will very soon find out who tries to pack up a number of stocks in hives with such floors. With the short floor the job is simple, rapid and easy.

The passage of time has not altered that truth.

My abelo hive entrance has slots to simply drop a blank closer piece into. Strap the hive together, drop in the closer and a bit of tape to avoid it being dislodged. Away you go!

My abelo hive entrance has slots to simply drop a blank closer piece into. Strap the hive together, drop in the closer and a bit of tape to avoid it being dislodged. Away you go!

That is all I do to block the entrance I dont bother with any tape move bees regular with no problems so easy

Latest posts

Back