Abelo lyson extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
I recently bought a lyson 20 frame radial extractor from abelo and only got round to given it a wash out today, when the bottom of the extractor fills above a certain level of around 2/3 inches the water runs out the bottom of it around the center and down onto the belt that turns from the motor,
it doesn't seem very normal and i will call able tomorrow, does anyone else own the same extractor and if so is there's the same?

Cheers Darren

Yes, this is normal for that model extractor and also their smaller models. I have one of these machines and it concerned me at first. The motor is located underneath the unit and drives the drive shaft which, in turn, passes through a tube in base of the unit. The tube is approx 2" to 3" above the base inside. When extracting, the honey cannot reach the top of this because the frame lugs start to drag in the honey when it gets too high, causing the motor to slow. The unit can hold about 30 kg before this happens, all you need to do is draw the honey off before it reaches this level.
I have been well pleased with this machine and am sure you will be too, don't worry about it.

Paul.

I just keep a eye on the level and drain off when needed, no problem with my 8 frame Abelo.9

Sorry, meant to be 30 lbs not 30 kg.

Seems like a low volume of honey to be able to keep in a 20 frame extractor, you need to leave the honey gate open/draining all the time when extracting with this model... or it leaks?

Last edited:
That sounds a bad design, i just took 35lb off 16 frames, you wont even manage one full extraction at 30lb?

Diameter? 800mm? How deep is the cone? Very easy to work out the approx. weight of honey it can contain before it will overflow the shaft sleeve.

Pi.D^2 divided by 4 then multiplied by the height (for the cylindical part) and multiplied by 1/3rd of the depth of the cone will give the volume when summed. Then just need to multiply by 1.4 for the weight of honey. Simples, really. Why guess when it is easily calculated? Easier to be working in SI units, or derivatives, of course.

Latest posts

Back