A word of warning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lost count and can't keep up
I took my young son to an out apiary yesterday. He played in the field while I inspected a nuc that needed room. The weather had been stormy, but was warm and calm. The nuc went nuts, attacking me and were not deterred by sprays or smoke. I told nipper to get in the truck while I went in the opposite direction to distract the bees. They attacked for some time. Eventually I went back to the truck and a few followed. Once in, the stray bees set about him and I had to squish those left. It left us both a bit shaken.
So, don't be lulled into bees being calm always. Lesson learned, but it's worthy of reminding others of the risks always present with bees.

Thanks for posting this Itchy. One day... You must stop that genetic.

Bees have bad hair days which is why I am so against urban beekeeping!
Tin hat on!
E

Bees have bad hair days which is why I am so against urban beekeeping!
Tin hat on!
E

That's all very well, but many of the beekeepers I know in the country seem to spend half the year feeding theirs sugar. Is that sustainable?

I am a suburban beekeeper and do my best to minimise nuisance and am largely successful.

don't be lulled into bees being calm always. Lesson learned, but it's worthy of reminding others of the risks always present with bees.

Thats a timely reminder Itchy.
Bees often become more defensive, or even outright aggressive, when the natural forage starts to wane. While hedgerows, etc still have flowers, this weather that we have had recently may reduce the necatar flows

I took my young son to an out apiary yesterday. He played in the field while I inspected a nuc that needed room. The weather had been stormy, but was warm and calm. The nuc went nuts, attacking me and were not deterred by sprays or smoke. I told nipper to get in the truck while I went in the opposite direction to distract the bees. They attacked for some time. Eventually I went back to the truck and a few followed. Once in, the stray bees set about him and I had to squish those left. It left us both a bit shaken.
So, don't be lulled into bees being calm always. Lesson learned, but it's worthy of reminding others of the risks always present with bees.

I have had similar happen around one month ago but it was the dog that got nailed and that was in the garden around 50 yards away, and over these past several weeks we have had too keep the bee suits on for around 10 minutes well away from the Q- hive, till they calm down,taking around a dozen stings to my bee suit obviously will not help either.

Latest posts

Back