A swarm in April is worth?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well having been caught out and missed one only yesterday (long story)

A Swarm in April can be quite painful!

I'm wondering what is usual in the UK in relation to swarms (of a reasonable size and within reasonable reach) . Are they captured for a fee, for nothing, or do people pay for them?

I'm wondering what is usual in the UK in relation to swarms (of a reasonable size and within reasonable reach) . Are they captured for a fee, for nothing, or do people pay for them?

Typically collected for nothing, the bees are the reward.

Typically collected for nothing, the bees are the reward.

Think you'll find that in the big cities the "pest controllers" will identify them as wasps & charge £150+! :bump:

I collected a huge swarm yesterday from one of our association members. They are the most evil tempered bees I have ever experienced in a swarm. As usual they had not been given enough room. I keep telling members that a national brood box does not have the capacity for local mongrels that are heavily infused with buckfast, (posh Mongrel), genes.

Think you'll find that in the big cities the "pest controllers" will identify them as wasps & charge £150+! :bump:
:winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:
And more!!
£200 + VAT by the ring a ding ding the Yellowpagers pest persons in Plymouth last year!

Great Uncle Dave went and got them... easy peezy on a wall... the lady asked him what he wanted.... he said "just a drink would do"... so she gave him a tin of Tetleys!!!!

Chons da

sorry are they all "Honest chapel-goers" in the valleys?

Or can it be claimed back from a landlord???

You appear to generalise about townies and country folk. Any wasp nest, reported to RCT Council will be charged around £50 for extermination. One pest controller from the Cardiff area frequents this forum, I'm sure you are not trying to blacken his name.

Swarm in april is worth... STRESS

A swarm in April is worth an opal?

You appear to generalise about townies and country folk. Any wasp nest, reported to RCT Council will be charged around £50 for extermination. One pest controller from the Cardiff area frequents this forum, I'm sure you are not trying to blacken his name.

Last year, one of the lads at work (he lives in the city) had unidentified insects, "sort of wasp with black legs" in the eaves of the semi nextdoor.

His Daughter stayed home to help the pest controller (who charged the neighbour £150).

The friendly pest controller pointed out that some "wasps" were very close to their house and "would probably move in via a crack in the facia board".
For a nominal fee (£75) he could treat the inside of the soffit & save them the £150 callout fee! :serenade:
She ended up negotiating a bargain deal with him.
So for moving his ladder 7' to the left,
he bagged £50 Cash in hand. :sifone:

The description of the "black legged Wasps" more closely described honey bees. However the expert opinion of the "Very nice man from the council" (who bagged £200 for 5 mins work & 15 mins sharp talking) was that they were the more lucrative, wasps! :winner1st:

Last edited:
Last year, one of the lads at work (he lives in the city) had unidentified insects, "sort of wasp with black legs" in the eaves of the semi nextdoor.

His Daughter stayed home to help the pest controller (who charged the neighbour £150).

The friendly pest controller pointed out that some "wasps" were very close to their house and "would probably move in via a crack in the facia board".
For a nominal fee (£75) he could treat the inside of the soffit & save them the £150 callout fee! :serenade:
She ended up negotiating a bargain deal with him.
So for moving his ladder 7' to the left,
he bagged £50 Cash in hand. :sifone:

The description of the "black legged Wasps" more closely described honey bees. However the expert opinion of the "Very nice man from the council" (who bagged £200 for 5 mins work & 15 mins sharp talking) was that they were the more lucrative, wasps! :winner1st:

I'm glad I live in Wales.

I'm a bit surprised that swarms are not paid for sometimes in the UK...surely given the trend in beekeeping, demand for bees is outstripping supply? Perhaps 10 pounds if you can get them reasonably easily and they are a good size? Put your own queen with them if they turn out to be disease free and you don't like the one they came with?

Does anyone have a good design for a swarm catching pole with a looped bag type set up at one end?

Latest posts

Back