A second super?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SireeDubs

House Bee
Reaction score
Nr Exeter (originally from Gogledd Cymru)
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 + nucs
I'm into my second season... First super now about 2/3 full, no capping but the colony are doing well and it seems they'll run out of room. I'm intending to put on another super, or is it too late in the season to do it?

Sorry if stupid question, but have been guided by many of the existing threads on this forum so am hopeful!

T

Gosh hope it's not too late!!
If we get some decent weather in July, and such a slow build up in the spring, I hope the best is yet to come, as they say

It's not only a question of whether the super is 2/3 full of honey but also is it full of bees? If full of bees then prudent to add a super asap to avoid hive getting overcrowded and thus stimulating swarming

Thanks for answers... Putting super together as we speak! I know it's probably silly, but so excited to think about first honey (especially after a tough beginning last year).

Haven't done this before, but intending to put second super under first. Have found lots of references to putting some frames from the first into the second to coax them in to work. Not sure about this bit though.

I assume they'll still continue to work in the first super (ie, to cap it)...?

Thanks for answers... Putting super together as we speak! I know it's probably silly, but so excited to think about first honey (especially after a tough beginning last year).

Haven't done this before, but intending to put second super under first. Have found lots of references to putting some frames from the first into the second to coax them in to work. Not sure about this bit though.

I assume they'll still continue to work in the first super (ie, to cap it)...?

A special moment getting that first honey, seems to taste alot better than anything you've had before. Put new super under bees will sort the rest

I started last year and they brought in most from balsam in September!

I'm into my second season... First super now about 2/3 full, no capping but the colony are doing well and it seems they'll run out of room. I'm intending to put on another super,T

How many brood boxes you have?

The amount of honey is not a reason to give more supers. It is colony growth, which need more room even if they do not a single droplet honey.

It is nice if that size colony makes honey to be extracted.

How many brood boxes you have?

The amount of honey is not a reason to give more supers. It is colony growth, which need more room even if they do not a single droplet honey.

It is nice if that size colony makes honey to be extracted.

Thanks, yes I think they need more room primarily. When I inspected today, the super and the brood box looked very full (no queen cells etc seen). Though the weather wasn't brilliant, it was ok, so still quite a few off foraging.

Back