A second extraction with that contraption

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I note that this isn't in the UK though? temps showing as 74 degrees on the video, that's a god summer day here in Blighty!

Last edited:
I cannot envisage an open jar of honey not being besieged by wasps and bees...in the UK..

I extracted mine last summer and not one single bee came around the back of the hive. I think that as the colony is not disturbed by opening the hive....they just carry on with their own business....especially if a nectar flow is happening.
No ....the video is not in the uk....but at least one person I know managed two extractions last summer in the UK....so it is possible. Not with the miserable summer most of us had though.
I think the extraction process is a little different, Finman, from the way that your 100 kg would be harvested. I might be wrong but I would guess that you wait until all is capped before removing all the supers at once...take them back home...prepare them for going into the extractor...putting them back into the supers and returning them to the hive...or into storage. With the Flow frames...you harvest when they are ready....individually if you want to. You don't take them off the hive...you don't clear the bees....you don't prepare them by uncapping....you don't have to take them out and put back into the supers...nor return them to the hives. All you do is walk away with your full container of honey. If you were lucky to have a really strong flow of nectar...and it was coming in so fast it wasn't being capped...once the Flow frames were full but not yet capped...then you would have to add more supers....Flows or not. In other words you would need to do what a beekeeper does. Just because a Flow was used...you wouldn't let the colony become honey bound. Of course, as you don't remove the frames for harvesting....the honey stays warm throughout the extraction process....so although some honeys flow faster than others...depending on the water content ....they do still flow....unless you leave the super on the hive for too long and it is crystallising....as can happen when you want to harvest all the honey in one extraction. This shouldn't need to happen with a Flow frame as they can be harvested as soon as capping happens or earlier if the moisture content is low enough.
As I have said before...I think the Flow frames are ideally suited to Hobby Beekeepers...who are not under pressure at harvest time.....but mainly because it is such fun to watch the process....for someone who enjoys their beekeeping just because they can.

I I think the extraction process is a little different, Finman, from the way that your 100 kg would be harvested. I might be wrong but I would guess that you wait until all is capped before removing all the supers at once.

If the hive gets 100 kg, it will be extrcated at least 3 times in summer.

Honey will bee capped box by box, and then extraction. such hive needs several box for nectar storing

As I have said before...I think the Flow frames are ideally suited to Hobby Beekeepers...who are not under pressure at harvest time.....but mainly because it is such fun to watch the process....for someone who enjoys their beekeeping just because they can.

No No No ... Let people learn the proper way to keep bees and harvest honey before they start with Gimmicky Antipodean Antics .... and even then ... :sorry: I remain unconvinced that they are going to be any sort of long term benefit to British beekeeping.

Well of course...As a beginner beekeeper you will learn how to look after your bees...that's why there are training sessions...courses and so on.
Why wouldn't you want to learn as much as you can about your bees.
I don't know whether they are a benefit to bees....certainly, there is less disturbance during harvesting times. Otherwise beekeeping is the same as far as I can see.
Huge fun though...

Hi Tremyfro,
Could you be kind enough to let me know why it leaked the first time and not the second time pls?

Hi Tremyfro,
Could you be kind enough to let me know why it leaked the first time and not the second time pls?

I can only tell you of my own experience of course. We tilted our Flow hive a bit more than the 5 degrees....we put a piece of wood under the front...ha ha...very scientific. Also we opened the cells...a quarter of the frame at a time. This allowed the honey to flow into the tube along the bottom of the frame and out into the jar....but not cause a back up of honey. It does fill the tube quite quickly when it starts to flow.
I think that he had a problem in his first extraction because .....if the honey is a runny one and you open all the frame at one time....the honey floods the channel and overflows through the lower cells. The explanation could be that ...the first time you use the Flow frame the bees may not have sealed and pulled out the wax completely all the way down to the bottom of the frame....and that might contribute to the overspill too.
I might be completely wrong...I have only used it once....and mine worked perfectly first time.

I think if you just buy the national flow frames and make your own box...it works out a bit less expensive. Mind you....beekeeping is a much cheaper hobby than horses...lol. It all depends on how you look at it.

Thanks Tremyfro,
Creates a bit of interest as a marketing tool. Also, some customers can see that it is fresh straight from the hive! Made my own sticky of it.

Latest posts

Back