A little help with pollen slides

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
ok, playing and making a few microscope slide for a pollen collection and I ain't very good at it

these are Crocus pollen

Has anyone any idea of size of the pollen diameter so i can calibrate the camera, i havent got a reference book with me

the second slide slide i think i have not washed out the from the pollen as has yellow globules am i correct?

The second is same diff mag

and the higher mag is i think asbout x3000 with this camera or am i mis calculating

Can i get a x 0.5 for a camera as the mag is very high 30x or greater

Last edited:
these are Crocus pollen

Has anyone any idea of size of the pollen diameter so i can calibrate the camera, i havent got a reference book with me
according to Plants for Bee by Kirk and Howes Crocus is 102microns hope this helps

according to Plants for Bee by Kirk and Howes Crocus is 102microns hope this helps

thanks, and i have been told the yellow is as i thought oil due to inadequate wash of the pollen

so next time the sun shines it will be on the knees and collecting more Crocus pollen

Hey,

To work out magnification you measure the size you see on the screen. On my screen your third image is about 190 mm.
Based on Ruary's figure quoted as 0.102 mm for a crocus pollen this would leave your magnification at 190/0.102 = 1863x
And the oil is from the pollen as you were told.

LC

Well I have just made a slide from a blue crocus and measured the diameter of the pollen grains to find that it was 92 microns.
Shows you should beleive all you read!

Latest posts

Back