A few weeks to wait for this to yield nectar i think.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find with ivy there are many different varieties and the flowering period is large also depending on its position.
Some in my area will start early Sept and you need to get the Heather off before it starts. There’s often some still going into December if frosts have not been to harsh.

Last edited:
I find with ivy there are many different varieties and the flowering period is large also depending on its position.
Some in my area will start early Sept and you need to get the Heath it starts. There’s often some still going into December
Some in my area will start early Sept and you need to get the Heatherboff before it starts. There’s often some still going into December if frosts have not been to harsh.
Best to rely on pollen load colour. After a few seasons of Ivy flow the yellow colour is distinctive. Ivy around my apiary usually has flower buds as your pics show, but well before they open, the bees bring in Ivy pollen loads.

Ian is right, there are a number of varieties and that extended flowering period is so beneficial. You get to know when to expect the first pollen loads, I have Ivy near to my house that is always flowering before I see my bees working Ivy, probably two miles max from my bees.

No hurry here - hives have plenty of stores.
My bees are still hammering the Evodia and Coralberry is starting to draw significant attention. In previous years the coralberry overlaps the ivy so I'm looking forward to plenty of late forage. Interestingly as I walked by the evodia an hour or so ago I spotted this.

Attachments

• 20230818_140006.jpg
    20230818_140006.jpg
    841.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230818_135940.jpg
    20230818_135940.jpg
    906.6 KB · Views: 0
My bees are still hammering the Evodia and Coralberry is starting to draw significant attention. In previous years the coralberry overlaps the ivy so I'm looking forward to plenty of late forage. Interestingly as I walked by the evodia an hour or so ago I spotted this.
What is it?

Latest posts

Back