8oz jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have spent once Hours on a Market in the cold and rain to walk away with £10.50. After the Stall cost we were left with £0.50.

For what it's worth unless it's very difficult to have a stall and only sell honey and make money. It works on some markets but not others. I sell a range of other delicious home-made products, jams marmalades, chutneys etc plus my own honey.
Breakdown costs over the last 5 years show that honey is under 1/3 of total sales. If I only had honey to sell I'd simply find local farm shops/delis and sell it to them slightly cheaper as I wouldn't have stall fees or the time involved.

I was selling 8oz of cut comb at £6,

I find cut comb the hardest to move initially, as people simply don't know what to do with it...I get a lot of people who ask me how it should be used......however on regular markets when cut comb aficionados find you they are back every month. It takes time to build the trade, but not good for one off markets. If that's any consolation.

it's easy to think it's over priced, at a farmers show last year, three of us were selling honey from the club stall, the other two members were selling 1lb jars at £6, I was selling 8oz of cut comb at £6, of course theirs were being bought left right and centre, but mine not getting noticed, they kept telling me to lower my price, but I stuck with it, as far as I'm concerned it's a quality product, I ended up taking half home and making about £100, but I'd rather do that than give it away

good for you!

I only use heather for cut comb, sell this for £3.45 for 8oz, and ordinary honey sells for £2.30 lb.

I gave away all of my honey crop last year to friends and family, but having now spent well in excess of £1500 on hives and beekeeping equipment, I will sell from now on and my 8 oz hex jars of wildflower honey (no arable forage) will command £3.50 per jar.

I started out with the intention of producing honey for my own consumption and the pleasure of keeping the bees, but you can never eat that much honey by yourself (and I eat it every day).

I think that the amount my youngest daughter has she must be reselling it...

Thanks for the detailed reply, i know i have read about people selling it for £6-£7 for a 1lb jar, so about £3.-£3.50 for 8oz i thought,
You can't just halve the 1lb price for 8oz jars because 8oz jars are usually more expensive than 1lb ones. Labels and lids cost the same whatever size jar, but are proportionally more of the total price on a small jar than a large one. All this means that packaging costs are greater for the smaller amount, and should be considered when setting the price.

Latest posts

Back