8 weeks to long winter prep...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Ok....

UK
North Somerset

I leave in 8 weeks (mid October)
I return 5 months later (mid March)

So that gives me 8 weeks to fully prepare 5 hives for winter into spring.

Ideally that so on my return they haven't gone hungry or swarmed (run out of space)!

Let's assume that I have no local beek who can do anything in my absence.

So - your perfect 8 week winter prep countdown schedule ideas please!

The clock

is

ticking...

BJD

Suppose you could slap a big feeder with invert syrup on (its not supposed to go mouldy) and make sure all the hives are well strapped together so if they do get knocked over at least they won't break apart.

Varroa treatment, feed and a well insulated eek with a block of fondant. May well have some comb in it come the spring but no harm.

Hoping to double brood a couple.

Celotex cosies - check.

Fondant - shall get shopping.

Sheep-proof fence (building).

Keep them ideas comin'!

The clock

is

ticking...

Reduce the entrance - I already have robbers and wasps to contend with here. I use fine mesh so there is still ventilation but mice can't make their home in the hive over winter.
Adequate food - they may still collect some from ivy, but, ensure they have enough before you leave.
Adequate space - not as big a problem as you might think as the queen will lay less if the income is less. They will back-fill emerging brood with nectar/pollen and contribute to their winter stores.
Young queen? - older queens are, perhaps, less likely to survive the winter. I aim to have as many of my colonies as possible go into winter with young queens.
Secure - strangely, wind has been more of an issue than cold in recent years. Pushing adjacent colonies together and strapping them down ensures a roof won't blow off or the hive blow over.
Woodpeckers? - 1/2 inch chicken wire wrapped around the hive will protect it from woodpeckers over winter. Don't forget the roof and floor.

You need a nuc or two with queens to requeen hives if you lose one or three..

Adequate space - not as big a problem as you might think as the queen will lay less if the income is less. They will back-fill emerging brood with nectar/pollen and contribute to their winter stores..

It was more that I wanted them to have ample space when spring expansion happens.

I had one hive busting at the seams last year and had to put an extra box on strangely early which it filled in a blink.

I feel 2 boxes gives me a little breathing space (as long as well insulated).

Latest posts

Back