8.5 degree's and bringing in pollen.

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Curly green fingers

Hi, I've just observed my amms bringing in Hawthorne, Dandelion, and apple pollen which is no more than 300 metres away this is a record temp (foraging)for the girls on the south Shropshire hills.
The weather is sunny with a 15 miles an hour wind
Out on the common .
I would like to hear from beeks that have had similar.
Thanks mark aka c.g.f... :winner1st:

9 C and flying bringing in pollen..

I read the books and according to them queens only mate at temps at or greater than 20C so my supercedure queens last year and my nuc queens this year don't exist or the Met Office and my thermometers under-read by 3-5C.

In all my life I have never encountered a hobby where there is so much misinformation , lies or total ignorance...

( if I were prone to swearing, there would be a few profanities added)

Thousands of bees were humming in the sunshine. 6C warm. They gathered water to brood feeding.

I read the books and according to them queens only mate at temps at or greater than 20C )

My queens mate too in 18C, but quite few. And it takes couple og weeks to succeed. If 100% mates, it needs 3 days over 20C and calm sunny days.

It depends, how you read the books, and what you want to see in your hives.

If some bees bring pollen in under 10C, to me it is not foraging. They have got something from special sunny spots. Research tells, that bees need 16 C that they can make a full pollen ball. And it really needs, when I have followed pollen foraging.

But for happy beekeeping it is good to know something and then imagine the rest. It does not harm anything.

Lots of bees die when they try to forage in minimum weathers.

Knowledge adds pain.

Last edited:
My queens mate too in 18C, but quite few. And it takes couple og weeks to succeed. If 100% mates, it needs 3 days over 20C and calm sunny days.

It depends, how you read the books, and what you want to see in your hives.

If some bees bring pollen in under 10C, to me it is not foraging. They have got something from special sunny spots. Research tells, that bees need 16 C that they can make a full pollen ball. And it really needs, when I have followed pollen foraging.

But for happy beekeeping it is good to know something and then imagine the rest. It does not harm anything.

Lots of bees die when they try to forage in minimum weathers.

Knowledge adds pain.

This post is one of the reasons I come on here I've learn so much from other members more than I ever realized .
Thanks.

I read the books and according to them queens only mate at temps at or greater than 20C so my supercedure queens last year and my nuc queens this year don't exist or the Met Office and my thermometers under-read by 3-5C.

In all my life I have never encountered a hobby where there is so much misinformation , lies or total ignorance...

( if I were prone to swearing, there would be a few profanities added)

Spoke to one of our most respected queen breeders this morning - First grafts 14th April, many of the first 100 Kieler nucs have already got laying queens

Spoke to one of our most respected queen breeders this morning - First grafts 14th April, many of the first 100 Kieler nucs have already got laying queens

It depends, where those nucs are. In Cardiff temps do not rise over 15C during next 10 days.
It is same in Glascow.

Last edited:

That is very good, the queens will be nine days old now, so to emerge mate and start laying in that time is fast, quickest Ive known them go out on mating flights here was three days old a couple of seasons ago.

What a lot of rubbish on the forum. We have temperatures quoted but he buys an anemometer - does he not know that thermometers measure temperature and anemometers measure air speed.

No mention of the temperature within the hedge, I suppose. Probably does not know that Met Office temperatures refer to SHADED temperature measurements. I even wonder wher he got his data from - the London met office, perhaps? Probably just plain exaggeration on the part of the OP. Anyone with any sense knows that sheltered sunny spots are warmer than known frost pockets by several degrees.

My buckles were flying...

Was he throwing his shoes, or his belt around?

Same as Finny quoting forecasts. As above, these are SHADED temperature readings. But at least Finny recognises the foraging would/could occur in “sunny spots”.

Next, we will have out-door runner beans in flower in the next week or so!

It depends, where those nucs are. In Cardiff temps do not rise over 15C during next 10 days.
It is same in Glascow.
Cardiff and Glasgow are in different countries - somone with even a smqattering of geography knowledge would know that.
It was nowhere near either of those two, so why bother quoting random forecasts just for the sake of it?

That is very good, the queens will be nine days old now, so to emerge mate and start laying in that time is fast, quickest Ive known them go out on mating flights here was three days old a couple of seasons ago.
I was surprised, but I have no reason to doubt Ricky - he may have meant the queens emerged, or sealed cells were put into the nucs around the 14th, it was a rather noisy room by this time

Have a look at my link RAB
It has a thermometer on it also .
WHAT!!!!!!!!!
The temp/air speed I took was 30 metres from the hives out in the
Open on the common.

Last edited:
Have a look at my link RAB
It has a thermometer on it also .
WHAT!!!!!!!!!
The temp/air speed I took was 30 metres from the hives out in the
Open on the common.

Exactly my point. I exaggerated, like you do, in suggesting you used the wrong temperature. You just confirmed it. :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Bees flying and bees foraging can occur at the same time at different temperatures.

Im not a liar the temperature was taken next to where the bee's were foraging .
But thanks next time I'll make sure I take the hedge temperature
Just for you RAB. any other requests??? Funny there's only one hedge for a mile or so would underneath a tree surfice???.

Last edited:
Just ignore him Mark..he is one of a few special forum muppets..

I thought I had deleted that post as I thought it was a bit inappropriate.
Fonzo, or Gonzo that's what his name is of the Muppets move!!!

Hi, I've just observed my amms bringing in Hawthorne, Dandelion, and apple pollen which is no more than 300 metres away this is a record temp (foraging)for the girls on the south Shropshire hills.
The weather is sunny with a 15 miles an hour wind
Out on the common .
I would like to hear from beeks that have had similar.
Thanks mark aka c.g.f... :winner1st:

So now you can not tell the difference between 30 and 300 metres? Read your first post and then where you said you measured the temperature. ‘In the open’ and ‘in the hedge’ are not exactly quite, or even near, the same place.

I didn’t call you a liar. But just really dim might fit the circumstance? You might not understand that light passes through the atmosphere without much attenuation. It is only when it is absorbed that the electromagnetic wave energy is transferred to thermal.