7 Beehives Stolen Llandudno

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les1990

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Beware Hive Thefts North Wales.

We have had 7 double National and camouflage netting and super equipment stolen from our out Apiary in Llandudno over the weekend of the 2nd / 3rd of March they have gained access to the field and drove across the field to our site to remove these hives,

This is the 2nd theft in the area in recent weeks,

Thanks

Les

Such a frequent occurrence this time of the year - it has to be someone who knows about bees and by inference a beekeeper of some sort - someone who knows the value and able to move them on. This is not an impulse theft. I think every honest beekeeper on here will be cross that these thefts happen. Just apalling.

Absolutely agree. I have my bees fairly well tucked away but paint them dark brown - not the seemingly fashionable bright colours which are I feel far too visible. I also put my name and phone number inside the brood boxes and supers with permanent marker, Probably won't deter the determined thief but perhaps will provide a surprise when they open up or try to sell on. I wonder if Google Earth satellite contributes to spotting apiaries?

Absolutely agree. I have my bees fairly well tucked away but paint them dark brown - not the seemingly fashionable bright colours which are I feel far too visible. I also put my name and phone number inside the brood boxes and supers with permanent marker, Probably won't deter the determined thief but perhaps will provide a surprise when they open up or try to sell on. I wonder if Google Earth satellite contributes to spotting apiaries?
Ours weren’t painted but where under Camo netting our name and address are with them to,

They can just use a drone these days and scout large areas looking for hives,

Ours weren’t painted but where under Camo netting our name and address are with them to,

They can just use a drone these days and scout large areas looking for hives,
Forgot the drones. It's bl**dy disgusting. No deterrents and no justice if caught no doubt.

Beware Hive Thefts North Wales.

We have had 7 double National and camouflage netting and super equipment stolen from our out Apiary in Llandudno over the weekend of the 2nd / 3rd of March they have gained access to the field and drove across the field to our site to remove these hives,

This is the 2nd theft in the area in recent weeks,

Thanks

Les
So very sorry to hear that ,these scumbags lowest of the low ,like Dani said stolen to order ,
Hope you can get up and running really quickly..Have the police shown any interest in trying to find these thieves .
John

So very sorry to hear that ,these scumbags lowest of the low ,like Dani said stolen to order ,
Hope you can get up and running really quickly..Have the police shown any interest in trying to find these thieves .
John
Hello John,

Oh definitely it’s disappointing that a beekeeper or someone with beekeeping knowledge has done this,

It’s part of a much a bigger operation 100+ hives so should bounce back pretty quick,

Rural crime team have been really helpful e-mails and on the phone and everything has been positive, with North Wales Police,

Thanks

If caught and proven guilty - what would be the most apt punishment the BEES could be persuaded to administer to the perpetrators. Answers on a postcard please.............

Quite clearly a planned operation using a sizeable vehicle or trailer so not going after just one hive. Might pay to consider installing a concealed tracker in one of the better hives within an apiary. Something like Spytrack Nano which has a 50 day GPS signal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fourteen beehives that were stolen from a site in North Wales have been found and are reported to be in a "reasonably healthy state." The theft, which took place between July 28 and July 31, occurred at Blackwood Lane, Mynydd y Garth, just outside of Llangollen in Denbighshire.16 Aug 2023’

Don’t give up hope.

Something that hurts is better. Confiscate all the kit, including vehicles, as proceeds of crime
Something that hurts might be difficult to enforce in the face of the latest trend just announced…...

“Police Scotland will not investigate every minor crime as it rolls out a pilot scheme across the country. It is expected to remove 10,500 “minor crimes” from being allocated to frontline officers nationally per year – such as missing garden ornaments or a damaged car bumper – if there are no lines of inquiry and no concern about “threat, harm, vulnerability or risk” to the caller.”

Nothing surprises me any more. Are we all expected to just roll over?
I am mortally afraid of thieves. They go equipped with no compunction about causing personal injuries to avoid getting caught.

I am suitably equipped with an old cricket bat to defend my person. And my family.

Just because a person is a beekeeper it doesn't mean they are all saint's or have a vested interest in being honest.
Any criminal or scumbag can be a beekeeper.

Most of us have a vested interest in being honest and model citizens and know right from wrong , those who are criminals have no conscience no matter what walk of life.

Latest posts

Back