5 year old 80% Acetic acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Does the strenght of 80% acetic acid decline over time

i have been given a 1ltre bottle that was opened over 5 years ago, then resealed, just wondering if it could have evpaorated due to a poor seal as it smells of acetic acid but to my nose not quite as strong as i expected

it is just a bit difficult to get now as most beekeeping shops will not post acetic due to new PO regulations

Last edited:
it is just a bit difficult to get now as most beekeeping shops will not post acetic due to new PO regulations

Go somewhere else instead - try fleabay, loads there - CWJ still sell it, and post it to you

i have been given a 1ltre bottle that was opened over 5 years ago, then resealed, just wondering if it could have evpaorated due to a poor seal as it smells of acetic acid but to my nose not quite as strong as i expected

it will decline only if it has accumlated water. boiling point is higher than water pure 118c. around 80% 107c
hygroscopic

It should be fine after this time.
If it freezes when it is say outside in a 4 degree garage it would help confirm purity.

We are accustomed to using 80% as that is the strength commercially available (as well as glacial acetic acid @ 100%). Doubtless if what was commercially available was 70% we would be using that. I don't think the exact strength of 80% is vital.

If it freezes when it is say outside in a 4 degree garage it would help confirm purity.

Not a chance if it was 80%. Doubt it would freeze in a domestic freezer. While glacial ethanoic acid freezes at around 16 Celsius, the freezing point is considerably depressed with only a small percentage of water.

If sealed it should be OK. Amari is right, 70% would be good enough.

Go somewhere else instead - try fleabay, loads there - CWJ still sell it, and post it to you

Ordered some off the net as price at CWJ without secure postage costs about the same as off the net with shipping included.

Totally impossible to predict. If you can be bothered send me some and I can measure it for you. Or just take a punt and use 2 times the amount that is recommended. Will not do any harm and should kill any spores.

I love some of the pseudo scientific answers we get on here. Pure tosh.

Latest posts

Back