5 week absence? How feasible please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can teachers go away for so long? They're always telling us how much class prep they have to do, how they have tons of marking, research and reading to do!

I am assuming that was a witty, rhetorical question, EdwardKing? But if not, let me assure you my husband takes all his with him

Best
B

Thanks JenkinsBrynMair and Icanhopit, I will go with Nationals and do as you suggest - I had been assuming that the Warre was, in a sense, more than a philosophy but I can see exactly what you are saying. Thanks, too, Master BK, I reckon I could do that.
All your help much appreciated :)
Best
B
x

Hi Bsj,
Do bear in mind that it is not unknown for new beekeepers to find that their nucs swarm too! It is going to be a steep learning curve, but great fun. All the best. See you around.

I am assuming that was a witty, rhetorical question, EdwardKing? But if not, let me assure you my husband takes all his with him

Best
B

It was a genuine question.
Here's another - what's the point in going away if he works all the time?

Hello all,

Nice to be here :) I have no bees yet though I have done courses and handled them etc. plus read a lot.

I want to get a single hive but - and I have a feeling it might be a big but - my husband is a teacher and he likes to go away for 5 weeks over the Summer - from late July until late August / September. This would mean I am not available to check my bees during this time. I live in the country so not a high density of beekeepers, besides I like to do things like this alone more than in a group.

Here is the way my mind is going:
1. Get a Warre set up, which is going to be more hands off and have more supers down the bottom than I need to put in in mid July.
2. Make sure I scan carefully right up to leaving for Queen cells and eliminate what I find until I leave.

I am in the UK, btw.

What do you more experienced keepers think please?

Thanks in advance
Best

B
Why not join your local Bka make friends there & let them know your problem? You could always ask someone there to check your bees while you are away they could keep an eye on them for other problems too. You may be able to return the favour one day.

It was a genuine question.
Here's another - what's the point in going away if he works all the time?

Here is a genuine question. Why do you think it is any of your business!!??

why do I not want to destroy Queen cells?

Main reasons are it won't stop swarming (if they still have the queen) or it can make them hopelessly queenless (if the old queen is gone).

You do need to destroy most queen cells as part of any swarm control method but it's not the only thing you do and unless you have spare queens available you don't destroy them all. It's a very common mistake for some reason.

I suspect there are a lot of Forum members who have gone through a hive removing queen cells as they go - only to realise, when they get to frame 11, that they've not seen the queen.........

Dusty

Last edited:
I suspect there are a lot of Forum members who have gone through a hive removing queen cells as they go - only to realise, when they get to frame 11, that they've not seen the queen.........
Dusty

I have done it lots of times, intentionally, shaking the combs off and making sure i remove every queen cell.

Thanks for all the constructive advice, I have loads to think about and, as expected, speaking with those of you who have more experience than I has helped a lot. If I decide to go for it, I'll let you know - I feel sure if that day comes, I'll want to ask you a lot more :)
Best
B
x

Thanks for all the constructive advice, I have loads to think about and, as expected, speaking with those of you who have more experience than I has helped a lot. If I decide to go for it, I'll let you know - I feel sure if that day comes, I'll want to ask you a lot more :)
Best
B
x

Just ask away when you are ready. Beekeeping is physically and mentally demanding, but great fun and very therapeutic.

Bsj - if you learn about bee behaviour first and how the differing seasons affect bee behaviour you will then be better placed to know how they will react to different beekeeping systems.

Also, it very much depends upon the season. I lost a swarm in August this year - I had assumed it was safe by then and got lax on inspections but because of the length of the season the bees obviously thought it was worth going. Fortunately, the new queen was mated in time but could easily have meant I had a queenless colony if the weather had turned in September.

On a practical note, be prepared for a busy September to catch-up on the weeks you have missed. Don't underestimate the work involved and you can't just remove all the supers in one go because they will be full of bees. In my area, I tend to take my last supers off once the Blackberry flow is over (usually start of August) because after that there is not much else forage and it gives the bees sufficient time to build up their winter stores on what little they can find until the ivy comes.

Latest posts

Back