5 of 4! bee suit thickness

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It has been suggested I get a thick fabric bee suit - who makes the suits with the thickest / densest fabric?

Mothman

I think a thick(er) suit is a good idea for several reasons, as is wearing long sleeves underneath it as I found this weekend when wearing a tee shirt under a BB suit (which I would recommend) and got a couple to the arm. However, in the long run, you need to sort them out as they have taken all the joy out of beekeeping for you.

It has been suggested I get a thick fabric bee suit - who makes the suits with the thickest / densest fabric?
Thick suits are ok but very hot! Best suit I ever had was a gortex one from Sherriffs, very light and cool. Never had a sting through it in 6 years of use! Unfortunately mine was stolen. Am now saving up for a replacement though I am not sure Sherriffs still market the gortex fabric ones. Worth asking them?

Last edited:
Thick suits are a bad idea.

You rarely inspect when its cold. Very often when its rather hot.

Wear layers underneath. At least one complete layer - so NOT shorts and T-shirt ...
The layer, and actually the airgap between, is protective.

Since you want an airgap, you do NOT want a tight-fitting suit. Baggy is excellent.
My own suit seems to be shrinking and getting tighter ... especially round the waist.

Bags of room

Whatever suit you get, get it big. This was recommended to me by BBwear when I bought my first suit at a show. I am 5'2" & wear a medium size suit. It is very baggy & does not contact my skin apart from across the shoulders if I am bending. I have only had one sting through the suit (& my bees can be quite lively) when I inadvertently squashed a bee on the inside of my arm.

Don't waste money on clothing. Spend some pounds, get some decent good tempered queens and then enjoy beekeeping.

Attack the cause and not the results.

Beekeeping as a hobby should be enjoyable. Standing in the sun sweating buckets in a hot suit due to aggressive bees is NOT enjoyable. When your bees are good tempered enough to be able to open a hive on a warm day using no smoke, no gloves and a light smock - that's enjoyable.

I do not tolerate nasty bees . Period.

Whatever suit you get, get it big. This was recommended to me by BBwear when I bought my first suit at a show. I am 5'2" & wear a medium size suit. It is very baggy & does not contact my skin apart from across the shoulders if I am bending. I have only had one sting through the suit (& my bees can be quite lively) when I inadvertently squashed a bee on the inside of my arm.

VG advice - I am no giant but mine from BB wear was well oversize. It is lightish which is best in the heat, even with the essential second light layer under. Most important are decent gloves. Mine are Sainxxxxbrys rubber washing up ones with long cuffs that I tape down where they join the suit with parcel tape - otherwise a single bee going inside the slevve will invite half the damnned colony to join it in a frenzy of stinging. Of course you will have calm bees but one day ........................... Forget heavy duty clothing.

I have an extremely thick suit from 'Bee Proof Suits...the suit is great, and they do not sting through it but the veil is almost impossible to see through - so I am looking for someone who could replace with a see you fabric!!

Latest posts

Back