2 margarines in the fridge

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
... It's enough to ruin a happy marriage. Etc...

For the second year running, I have two Queens coexisting in a hive, and am coming to learn that this is not uncommon. Last year, they lived together all season, with the old Queen prevailing. This, I expect will turn out somewhat differently...

... Not least as I found a single, charged, cell on the edge of an adjacent frame. Go figure!

No idea what they are up to (my guess is that the workers loyal to the older Queen are trying to supersede her. Even though she's a 2023 Queen, her wings are a little nibbled and she is not moving well - whereas the other one looks good, and I have seen her depositing eggs).

On the basis the bees know best, I have just left that cell. Wise idea ?

PXL_20240504_140745162.jpg

PXL_20240504_140823432.jpg

I think I might have popped the old one in a nuc with a couple of frames. and destroyed the queen cell but that is just me!

For the second year running, I have two Queens coexisting in a hive, and am coming to learn that this is not uncommon. Last year, they lived together all season, with the old Queen prevailing. This, I expect will turn out somewhat differently...

... Not least as I found a single, charged, cell on the edge of an adjacent frame. Go figure!

No idea what they are up to (my guess is that the workers loyal to the older Queen are trying to supersede her. Even though she's a 2023 Queen, her wings are a little nibbled and she is not moving well - whereas the other one looks good, and I have seen her depositing eggs).

View attachment 39847

View attachment 39848
I'm not sure, but keep a keen eye on them. It's a great photo of the two queens and the cell in any case :)

Last edited:

I've had three generations of queens in a hive before now.

Latest posts

Back