1of4 Discouraging following bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When inspecting I regularly get between 1 and 5 bees vociferously 'ping' at my head. My reply to this has been to move away and vigorously smoke them and myself moving away again when the bee(s) have moved back for another run up, so to speak, check they haven't found me and the return by a different route. Recently I have tried using a sugar water spray which seems to work as well as the smoke but once clean one bee followed me another 20 yards to find me! Whist this seems to work at this time of year it leaves the hives open for a robbing frenzy and makes things even harder for me to work!
Is there any better solution to this following? I am getting to the point of thinking of leaving a soap spray 20 yards from the hive so if I get that far away it may just be better to get rid of the few following bees to leave the better behaved ones.

I have a hive from Hell, the bees follow me for over a quarter of a mile back to my car, dive bombing me all the way.

I found that Febreze

febreze-300x300.jpg

Stops them following pretty god dammed fast. In the 2 years of using febreze on the followers I have found it has no ill affects on the hive and works a treat

I get chased but as my bees are in the garden I keep a charged hose handy. With a fine spray upwards they get the message. Mind you, they don't forget very quickly and for the next day or two if they have nothing better on their mind they sometimes have another go.

Wash all of your kit in biological washing powder. This gets rid of the stinging pheromone which encourages more bees to sting.

A new queen or pint of petrol. I used to put up with this but don't anymore.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I stand still, wait until they are in front of my face and then clap my hands together, killing them. I work on the theory that it may be the bee and not the queen, if the bee is no more, it can't teach it's trait! It does seem to help!

Try starch. It doesn't kill them but they just glide out of the way ( joke) ( okay perhaps not!)

I stand still, wait until they are in front of my face and then clap my hands together, killing them. I work on the theory that it may be the bee and not the queen, if the bee is no more, it can't teach it's trait! It does seem to help!
Enrico, that's classic!! You should add though, please make sure you do not miss.
When it's carcass hits the deck you can follow up with numerous stamps as you scream " DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE!!!! "

I've heard that there's stuff made by a company called Mon#sa&to that stops bees from following you. It's called Nico something...

Being serious, I read OP again because this seemed more a case of pinging and buzzing during inspection, rather than being followed some distance after inspection.

I can understand the note of despair from Mothman, when the bees start acting defensively and are now a full size colony, it can take a bit of nerve to go through them. I remember my first double brood!!
Enrico always gives good advice and I totally agree when he suggests making yourself bomb proof (in this heat, also a great slimming plan as you will lose two stone in sweat)
Double layers, including your head if the thatch ain't so thick anymore. Double or treble your nitriles and concentrate on the job in hand, doing your utmost to ignore any narky bees. Of course, if it goes anything beyond some pinging, close down and return another day. Sometimes they object and you are only armed with a smoker, so no shame in a tactical withdrawal.
I'd also like to suggest asking another beek to accompany you, explain you are getting daunted. He/she will understand and they will also be able to assess your bees.
Good luck Mothman.

Sorry to be stupid, but what is "pinging"? Bouncing off a veil? I'm lucky - touch wood - in being v tolerant of stings so YMMV but if we're not actually being stung, then "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself". And I bet they smell it, so it's a doom loop. If you're being attacked African-style and "pings" are minor stings, it's different, I completely accept. And not to be too like HeidiHerrmann (enormous respect, to be clear) but treating the senior members of the colony, there to protect your property, as an enemy to be blasted out of the air just seems a bit "inorganic" to me.

Pinging is when they keep bouncing off your veil but no sting

Being serious, I read OP again because this seemed more a case of pinging and buzzing during inspection, rather than being followed some distance after inspection.

I can understand the note of despair from Mothman, when the bees start acting defensively and are now a full size colony, it can take a bit of nerve to go through them. I remember my first double brood!!
Enrico always gives good advice and I totally agree when he suggests making yourself bomb proof (in this heat, also a great slimming plan as you will lose two stone in sweat)
Double layers, including your head if the thatch ain't so thick anymore. Double or treble your nitriles and concentrate on the job in hand, doing your utmost to ignore any narky bees. Of course, if it goes anything beyond some pinging, close down and return another day. Sometimes they object and you are only armed with a smoker, so no shame in a tactical withdrawal.
I'd also like to suggest asking another beek to accompany you, explain you are getting daunted. He/she will understand and they will also be able to assess your bees.
Good luck Mothman.

I always find that that nice calm colony of bees a month ago turn a little defensive come this time of year. Mine have, with a few following, but don't stay around for long. Bees give a warning by hitting you on top of the head rather than going for the sting. That's the time to move if you haven't got a bee suit on.

Wash all of your kit in biological washing powder. This gets rid of the stinging pheromone which encourages more bees to sting.

Important.

Your kit (and gloves) must be clean.
Stings leave a pheromone that attracts more stings. Even days later.
Difficulty of cleaning leather gloves is why so many leather glove users think they are essential - because of all the attention their hands get from the bees, because of the dirty gloves!

Personally, I think washing soda does a better job on bee-stuff than bio detergent. Your mileage may vary.

"Pinging" and following aren't quite the same thing.

Don't forget that many scented "personal care" products (and even body odours) can 'set off' the bees. Don't eat banana immediately before inspecting bees!

If your bees are being robbed (by wasps, another colony, mice, bumbles, whatever) then they are going to be 'defensive' when you start poking around.
Something to try is restricting the entrance, so that it is much more easily defended. That makes it attacked less. Which makes the bees more relaxed. Which is better for you (and them).

And lastly as a matter of technique, after applying some smoke, try leaving them entirely alone for five whole real (eggtimer) minutes before opening up.
Smoke acts indirectly. Give it time.

However, persistent following is not something to be tolerated. And the answer to that is definitely requeening. Towards the end of the season Qs become a surplus commodity, and you should be able to 'upgrade' at little expense.

Latest posts

Back