14 X 12 is it becoming more popular ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14x12

Bees heat the cluster rather than the whole hive!
I Run 14x12s and my bees Winter in them very well .
Damp or and draught ( not to be confused with ventilation ) are the killers !Not the size of the box!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now talking of damp and draughts my mentor this year is keeping his solid floors in all winter as he is convinced that having the OMF in killed 12 out of 16 hives of his the year before last ! and he's been doing it since Adam was a lad !.
Dave W

Quite a few people are of the same opinion!
I keep my omfs closed off during Winter although I use in summer for mite checks only !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now talking of damp and draughts my mentor this year is keeping his solid floors in all winter as he is convinced that having the OMF in killed 12 out of 16 hives of his the year before last ! and he's been doing it since Adam was a lad !.
Dave W

Really?
What does he think killed them?

he is convinced that having the OMF in killed 12 out of 16 hives of his the year before last

A misconception, I would think, or an excuse for other malady.

It was a consideration I made when changing to OMF - that 14 x 12s woud offer a better winter environment than a single deep. But again a deep and a shallow would be effectively no different.

Don't try to change his mind, he is clearly (to me) totally blinkered.

With OMF I close my entrance right down to the narrow 'wasp defence' gap and leave the omf open.

Before, with solid floors, I used to leave the entrance fully open with a mouse excluder pinned on.

imo the bs are better ventilated but with no draughts bvy using the omf.

he is convinced that having the OMF in killed 12 out of 16 hives of his the year before last ! and he's been doing it since Adam was a lad !.
Dave W

I think the omf was an excuse rather than a reason - did he qualify this?

Back