12 oz or 1lb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears that some people are really getting ripped off per 12oz hexagonal jar:

Quote:

"454g rounds - 61p per jar (gross rate)

340g hevagonal - almost 95p per jar".

Unquote:

I bought 2000 jars from a co-operative who order around 20,000 at a time.I drive 2 miles in one direction to pick them up and two miles back again keeping the fuel cost or any potential for delivery charges to an absolute minimum. The cost per jar after Vat is added works out with lids at 22p per jar. And not almost 95p!!!

Moving on

72 round jars and lids + delivery + vat work out at just over 40p each from CWJ.

Just for the sake of completeness,

72 1lb round jars and lids incl. VAT costs £20, which is 28p per jar.

I am planning to collect. But there is free postage on orders (incl VAT) over £200, so people with loads of honey, or bulk buys for a club, could benefit.

Just for the sake of completeness,

72 1lb round jars and lids incl. VAT costs £20, which is 28p per jar.

I am planning to collect. But there is free postage on orders (incl VAT) over £200, so people with loads of honey, or bulk buys for a club, could benefit.

Its a great idea for clubs and even individuals just to get a large order together. Its worth people getting larger orders delivered to one central place and then distribute from there.

Dont forget - If you are selling to farm shops, village shops, you need a hygiene certificate from your local council and also batch number labels.

If you are selling from the "farm gate" direct to the end user you dont need the above

Now the alpha males seem to have gone off to play somewhere else....:sport-smiley-002:

I found this in the 2009 BBA Advisory Leaflet (B10) on selling honey (my italics.) Maybe things have changed since then.... The local community shop told me last Summer I would have to register and be inspected but when I sent a copy of the leaflet to Trading Standards the inspector was delighted as she was able to remove a number of beekeepers from her inspection backlog. I've heard nothing since. Everyone seems happy. We haven't discussed what constitutes small quantities:

'Registration of premises does not apply to the direct supply by the producer of small quantities of primary products to the final consumer or to local retail establishments directly supplying the final consumer.’​

'Registration of premises does not apply to the direct supply by the producer of small quantities of primary products to the final consumer or to local retail establishments directly supplying the final consumer.’

thanks for that little gem, sal

The operative word there is "small" and some authorities will differ as to how that is applied, so it doesn't necessarily cover all hobbyists, though is a useful starting point as a defence.

Effective communication is approx 60% body language, 30% Tone and 10% words.
It also helps if you have a canister of CS gas and a telescopic thumping stick :D

Depending on the festival, you could mix in some Cannabis and sell it at £50 a Jar :icon_204-2:

MMM real honey pot :drool5::sifone:

Health officers may come round and check you are not extracting with a dog by your feet

I usually get mine to lick the extractor clean :D

Latest posts

Back