1 brood box, 2 full supers over wintered.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
Was going to leave it another while to inspect but so busy with work and thought id jump in today. This is a hive that has been untreated in 2 years, came out of winter excellent. Has lots of stores, bias in the 2 supers and some stores in the bottom brood box however the most of the BB would have empty cells.

Last winter i could have taken some of the stores for myself but i said feck it, ill leave it for the bees to see how they get on. I left them with no QE and now the both supers are nearly full of stores and BIAS im thinking what would my next move be. I knew this was going to be this situation come spring and will deal with it then.

Sadly to say when i broke the 2 supers apart, i broke alot of cells with pulpa in them. Put back quickly and closed up the hive. Hope HM is ok after this.

Anyway, should i reverse the brood box to the top and leave the bees at it for a few weeks for them to rearrange the hive.

Was going to leave it another while to inspect but so busy with work and thought id jump in today. This is a hive that has been untreated in 2 years, came out of winter excellent. Has lots of stores, bias in the 2 supers and some stores in the bottom brood box however the most of the BB would have empty cells.

Last winter i could have taken some of the stores for myself but i said feck it, ill leave it for the bees to see how they get on. I left them with no QE and now the both supers are nearly full of stores and BIAS im thinking what would my next move be. I knew this was going to be this situation come spring and will deal with it then.

Sadly to say when i broke the 2 supers apart, i broke alot of cells with pulpa in them. Put back quickly and closed up the hive. Hope HM is ok after this.

Anyway, should i reverse the brood box to the top and leave the bees at it for a few weeks for them to rearrange the hive.

I am no expert but i fear you have already done enough damage, leave them alone imo till we have a consistent warm weather pattern..

I am no expert but i fear you have already done enough damage, leave them alone imo till we have a consistent warm weather pattern..

**** happens. every beekeeper makes them. I knew it was going to happen anyway so dont really care. Now i know what the hive is like. If i leave them, sure theyll just brood up the 2 supers fully and then itll be more difficult to sort it. Im sure if i reverse the brood box above, theyll rearrange it and empty the supers. This hive is for splitting anyway so no real harm in how i did this over winter. The fact of the matter is, these bees are doing very good, they have overwintered twice without treatment and willl be split when the times right.

Forgot to mention, this hive is fully insulated from top to bottom in 100mm xtratherm insulation.

Possibly depends on your location, but I would hold off with examinations and in particular manipulations for another couple of weeks (at least). We are about to face into another cold spell and there is little point in disturbing the colony (where stores rich) until this unseasonable Wx settles to spring.

My first inspections last year were 8th April.We are at least 2 weeks behind...at present.

**** happens. every beekeeper makes them. I knew it was going to happen anyway so dont really care.

Now i know what the hive is like. If i leave them, sure theyll just brood up the 2 supers fully and then itll be more difficult to sort it. Im sure if i reverse the brood box above, theyll rearrange it and empty the supers. This hive is for splitting anyway so no real harm in how i did this over winter. The fact of the matter is, these bees are doing very good, they have overwintered twice without treatment and willl be split when the times right.

Some excellent advice has already been given to you here...

https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=429852&postcount=3

**** happens. every beekeeper makes them. I knew it was going to happen anyway so dont really care. Now i know what the hive is like. If i leave them, sure theyll just brood up the 2 supers fully and then itll be more difficult to sort it. Im sure if i reverse the brood box above, theyll rearrange it and empty the supers. This hive is for splitting anyway so no real harm in how i did this over winter. The fact of the matter is, these bees are doing very good, they have overwintered twice without treatment and willl be split when the times right.

What a great attitude :nono:

Latest posts

Back