Floor debris

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbh4

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone point me to any resources (books, websites etc) that explain how to interpret the debris on the OMF board?

How are you supposed to find varroa mites amongst all the other crap? I saw someone suggest floating them off in methylated spirits. Is that the way to do it?

Thanks,

Paul

(still bewildered by how many things the books don't tell you!)

You can spot varroa very easily.

An extreme example
varroa.jpg

You can spot varroa very easily.

An extreme example

My board didn't look anything like that!

But I was wondering what all the other stuff is - the stuff that's not varroa. I recognised little kidney shaped lumps of pollen. Also, there were piles of biscuit coloured "sawdust" - is that brood cappings? What are the glassy bits in your picture? I have them too.

Paul

Yes the biscuit coloured sawdust as you put it will more than likely be brood cappings or cappings of stores although I fined they tend to be lighter in colour than brood cappings and the position on the tray will give you an indication as to the most recent frames to have plenty of emerging bees.

The glassy bits again as you put it are flakes of wax that the bees have dropped or have fallen from the bees

How are you supposed to find varroa mites amongst all the other crap

You could use a magnifying glass, or similar, if your eyesight is not quite up to 20:20.

RAB

Latest posts

Back