Who said bees dont like electricity? Found this at work today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
These are on a 400,000 V transormer on-site. No sign of bees flying, but will get a better look tommorow.

My self and and another fellow beekeper / worker will remove regardless.

Will keep you posted.

PS sort of throws out the window the theory that electromagnetism kills off bees and those that question placing hives under power lines.

P3290002.jpg

P3290001.jpg

P3290003.jpg

that could be a shocking one to get good luck.

That's amazing, look forward to an update.

These are on a 400,000 V transormer on-site. No sign of bees flying, but will get a better look tommorow.

My self and and another fellow beekeper / worker will remove regardless.

Will keep you posted.

PS sort of throws out the window the theory that electromagnetism kills off bees and those that question placing hives under power lines.

P3290002.jpg

P3290001.jpg

P3290003.jpg
Which station?

sort of throws out the window the theory that electromagnetism kills off bees

Only if there are still live bees there!

and those that question placing hives under power lines.

If there are bees, perhaps you could test their temperament?

sort of throws out the window the theory that electromagnetism kills off bees

Only if there are still live bees there!

and those that question placing hives under power lines.

If there are bees, perhaps you could test their temperament?

Well there must have been bees there for a reasonable time frame to have built that lot.

Possibly no bees there now, not necessarly to do with the electricty, more to do with the exposed location and possibley varroa.

Would love to fined even a cup full of bees..what a find that woudl be?

Either way, would like to get a few hives on the station grounds..then can realy test temperament

From one Electrical Engineer to another.
Would love to see the risk assessment and method statement for removing that. Writing the permit will probably be interesting as well.

Do they make Nomex Bee Suits?

SteveJ

Yes, should be an intresting and unusual Permit and method stament, I dont think we will have it on our system.

I have just emailed our Generation manager and said it might be a good PR opertunity...especialy if there are bees there.

Ohm sweet ohm. You might find a bit of resistance there . . .
Good luck.

i'd imagine it was a swarm that rested there for a few days last summer. unlikely to have survived normal UK summer/autumn weather outdoors let alone overwinter.

nice free source of clean comb though - make something electricity themed out of it for honey show.

Trying to come up with an argument for the power brigade not to put a second power wire across our apiary field (quite long and narrow and already with two footpaths to avoid). This is not helpful....

....anything that could be welcome. Seriously....

I have heard of Electric eels but Electric Bees??

Hope you are charging for this removal!

Nice photos.

Trying to come up with an argument for the power brigade not to put a second power wire across our apiary field (quite long and narrow and already with two footpaths to avoid). This is not helpful....

....anything that could be welcome. Seriously....

But a picture does not lie and tells a thousand words and all that!

Had a closer look today, well still 30ft from the location behind 10ft iron rails. No sign of any movment.

Power still on so no chance of getting close, gets turned off this weekend (this unit will be on a shut down for the next couple of months)

Quick update.

Compnay called in pest controller to remove combs over the weeked. No bees present, and they made a poor effort to remove the comb.

My main concern is the apparent use of a chemical (?) as it looks like a bit white in the location (powder dusting)

I will try and get a better lokk tommorow.

Would of probably used ficam d thats white powder used for wasps and bees

Back