Poly nuc new

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So has he just bought them for 23 quid a time from P***nes? Not a bad mark up!

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Is that slot in the thick divider to put your Library card in?

I fancy these were designed for some Chinese use in their millions!

beeboybee,

anyone got one?

What? A 14 x12 polynuc?

M****n Beekeeping do an easily convertible Langstroth Jumbo poly nuc. If you make an asymmetrical conversion you can leave enough space at one end for a home made feeder. And it is wide enough for a divider to make it into two x 3 frame nucs if desired.

Have converted nine since late last summer.

Regards, RAB

RAB you know i have one of those........... think we discussed it ages ago.
just looking for something that works straight off the shelf but guess converting and fixing things is a good part of beekeeping

Just need a very long and narrow brush to paint the feeder compartment.

Or dilute the paint to make it runny, pour some in, swirl it all around, and pour it out into the next nuc, and turn it upside down to dry?

There is (or at least was) a 14x12 poly nuc available from Park beekeeping. It's actually a 3 in 1 convertible between Langstroth, National and 14 x 12. I've got some and they work well as Natioanls and 14x12, not quite so good as Langstroths as the frames touch the floor.

RAB you know i have one of those........... think we discussed it ages ago.

By PM? Sorry, I have had hundreds of those and can't keep up with all of them. Had four, three from the same person (crg it was, I think), yesterday. All four were uwanted, though.

Actually I've made about 2 dozen inserts. They do not take long to machine up but are a bit fiddly to cover and fit (the 'arty' bit). The modding with inserts makes not a lot of difference to me as I would make my own in timber, anyway.

not quite so good as Langstroths as the frames touch the floor.

I would not be entertaining any hive where the frames touch the floor. I did not know that as I wanted them for 14 x 12 duty at the time. I rejected that option for other reasons (PM me if you want details).

Regards, RAB

So has he just bought them for 23 quid a time from P***nes? Not a bad mark up!

Regards, RAB

Sorry Rab but anyone who buys/sells goods would see that a terrible markup with little return.

Not worth the hassle on that margin given that he/she wont shift that many via ebay. If they shifted a 1000 over a small period then maybe its worth it but they wont.

i was presuming that someone in china had a blueprint and mould for these as all look very similar.
ebay seller has possibly sourced direct ?

FWIW I was told that the min run for a poly unit was 700. Not a lot really....

Until you personally have to shift them.

PH

Before buying any poly the critical question is what is the density?

The answer should be 100gms/litre.

PH

enrico,

Your link was to a new to be full size hive, not a nuc.

They only do Langstroth polynucs which need some internal padding to reduce the size for National frames while watching out for beespace clearance.

That full sized poly National looks good. All it needs is a competitive pricing structure and it will be a winner, I am fairly sure.

But there again, at the cost of a basic floor, brood box and roof, they could be used as a nuc size internally. The floor space issue being the only real downside. I reckon there may be some who will fit a divider and use them as double nucs, as well. I am patiently awaiting delivery so I can appraise an example in 14 x 12 format. No worries with the density of these hives either.

Regards, RAB

Paynes also selling cheaper than the ebay price- have in stock- and same box with 5/6 frames bees next month- £195 ....

I bought three of the new National poly nuc from P*ynes and they arrived yesterday.
I paid the pre-launch price of £25.60 each, including carriage,.
They were well-packed and arrived safely.
They look good, a nice shade of green, with space for six deep frames.
Bee space at top of frames and 20mm space below the frames.
Black epoxy coated mesh floor insert is moulded in.
The four feet line up with four corners on the roof, allowing you to stack empty hives,or stack full hives when moving.
The integral feeder is a good idea.
These nuc hives look like good value, and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Mine have just arrived as well.
All I need now is the Bees to go in them.
Planning on an artificial swarm this spring time.

Latest posts

Back