My New Beeshed!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedeaddiplomat

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
sadly, no more!
I know it wouldn't do for those of you with lots of hives etc.

But I have just acquired (from a well known, national purveyor of diy equipment) a new 6x4 PLASTIC shed. The way it fits together (my son and I put it up in two hours - and believe me dead diplomats are not noted for their skills as handymen) leaves virtually no gaps for little insects to find their way in. Just two air vents (that the current Lady DD has covered with veil material).

So if the theory works, I now have - for the grand outlay of under £170 - a home for the extractor, brood boxes, supers etc which not only keeps them together, tidy and safe. But it will also make them less prone to investigation by anyone who might wonder whether I had reported entirely fully on any recent new acquisitions of equipment!

And if I am very lucky, there will just be room for a chair and a bottle of sherry, too! :cheers2:

But it will also make them less prone to investigation by anyone who might wonder whether I had reported entirely fully on any recent new acquisitions of equipment!

And if I am very lucky, there will just be room for a chair and a bottle of sherry, too! :cheers2:

Being a diplomat you didn't intend to use the word 'aquisition' did you? You meant 'selfless investment to protect local biodiversity'. Either way best under cover of darkness and lock and key! Congrats on the new second home.

Do young construction helpers have diplomatic immunity when it comes to celebratory sherry's in bee sheds?

It's great having a shed to keep all the bee stuff in. I bet you won't have room for a chair with the extractor, supers, spare brood chambers, floors, QEs, smoker,suit,crown boards,frames..... the ever expanding list goes on..
Cazza

You can always find room for a bottle of sherry! What was that old sitcom where he had a box of sherry in his greenhouse?

presume there'll be room for the odd "men's interest" magazine in there too - "just to level the extractor feet, honest dear".

It's great having a shed to keep all the bee stuff in. I bet you won't have room for a chair with the extractor, supers, spare brood chambers, floors, QEs, smoker,suit,crown boards,frames..... the ever expanding list goes on..
Cazza

Stick all my bee stuff in the garage where I can work on it if necessary and leave the car out. When frost about I stick pieces of 2 x 1 under the w/screen wipers so they don't stick and a Halfords nylon clth across the w/s.

You can always find room for a bottle of sherry! What was that old sitcom where he had a box of sherry in his greenhouse?

Ever decreasing circles!! :)

I think the programme you have in mind is 'Theres no place like home'

G

Will you be allowed travel expenses to and from and a photo would be nice to see how the other half lives

QUOTE=Monsieur Abeille;114376]This the one? Looks like a good deal, though I'd be worried about needing an extension fairly quickly

[/QUOTE]

Too right :iagree:[

Just googled it. No Place Like Home - ran from 1983 to 1987 (thought it was older than that). Arthur Crabtree was the character who had the home made sherry in his greenhouse.

Well done George!!!

You could also clad it with any spare would you might have to pretty it up a bit. Might get real hot in there in summer being plastic though, might not be good for the wax foundation.

I know it wouldn't do for those of you with lots of hives etc.

But I have just acquired (from a well known, national purveyor of diy equipment) a new 6x4 PLASTIC shed. The way it fits together (my son and I put it up in two hours - and believe me dead diplomats are not noted for their skills as handymen) leaves virtually no gaps for little insects to find their way in. Just two air vents (that the current Lady DD has covered with veil material).

So if the theory works, I now have - for the grand outlay of under £170 - a home for the extractor, brood boxes, supers etc which not only keeps them together, tidy and safe. But it will also make them less prone to investigation by anyone who might wonder whether I had reported entirely fully on any recent new acquisitions of equipment!

Might get real hot in there in summer being plastic though, might not be good for the wax foundation.

This the one? Looks like a good deal, though I'd be worried about needing an extension fairly quickly

That's the one! Not large - but perfectly formed! I am reliably informed by the current Lady DD that I will not require anything larger as I will not be keeping more than three colonies of bees (I appear to have overlooked telling her of the two other out apiaries I have been offered for this year - silly me).

Unlikely that the shed will overheat, since it is in a bit of my garden that does not often see the sun. But the real appeal of the plastic construction was that there are no insect-sized gaps other than the two air vents (and, of course, the door).

Will be launching it officially this weekend (half incluined to crack a bottle of fizzy over it, but not sure yet). Will let you know how the ceremony goes!

Latest posts

Back