a little advice, please....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iawtkb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have just moved my hives to a new site. Due to a holiday and a minor car incident I didn't get to see them for two weeks before they were moved, but my brilliant association members looked after them for me.

Now, though, I can't see eggs or larvae in the smaller of the two. Still extraordinarily gentle though. I was told that there had been a supercedure, and there were two queens in there, but I can't find either.

I plan on waiting to see if the old queen was disposed of, and to see if the new queen got herself mated and will begin to lay shortly.

Alternatively, I could take eggs and brood from the other hive, and pop it into the potentially queenless, and wait for them to raise a new queen - although I appreciate it's getting late in the season for this.

All advice welcome.

I have just moved my hives to a new site. Due to a holiday and a minor car incident I didn't get to see them for two weeks before they were moved, but my brilliant association members looked after them for me.

Now, though, I can't see eggs or larvae in the smaller of the two. Still extraordinarily gentle though. I was told that there had been a supercedure, and there were two queens in there, but I can't find either.

I plan on waiting to see if the old queen was disposed of, and to see if the new queen got herself mated and will begin to lay shortly.

Alternatively, I could take eggs and brood from the other hive, and pop it into the potentially queenless, and wait for them to raise a new queen - although I appreciate it's getting late in the season for this.

All advice welcome.

You would usually find both queens laying in a supercedure, smaller of the two hive might mean it has swarmed and a virgin queen is waiting to be mated, by all means place give it a test frame, if no queen cell are made then the extra brood won't go a miss with a small colony

If there has been a supercedure during the period you were away i.e.last two weeks, then leave well alone for 3-4 weeks to allow the new Q to get mated and start laying.
Virgin queens are notoriously flighty and may well decide to flee the nest if frames get pulled around- so make a note in your diary as to when to inspect next.
You will probably know from she is laying when you see bundles of pollen being brought in.

Perhaps the old queen has fallen from the perch and the new queen just need more time to mate and get going. A test frame will do no great harm and will confirm to you Q+ or Q-

As Redwood and Tom - frame of eggs worth the effort. Then leave alone for 2- 3 weeks as they are not likely to go anywhere this time of year and the Q will be able to settle in and get cracking better if left to do what comes naturally.

As Redwood etc above. Remember, though, a frame of emerging brood (as well) would reinforce them far more quickly.

Take note from those recent threads where they that have no clue as to the dangers of wasp attacks before the event. More bees, a reduced entrance, and definitely no wasp attractants anywhere near your small colony. It is far easier to avoid wasps than trying to stop them after they gain free access.

Thanks all - I was going to visit them this afternoon, but we've just had a huge thunderstorm, so I'll leave it for today.

I have already reduced down to a one bee space entrance to reduce the wasp risk, although I haven't seen any around, I know they're there!

I think I'll pop a frame of eggs / larvae / emerging brood in there to bolster the numbers.

:thanks: :thanks:for all the advice, I will let you know how I get on.

I had a little look today - from the outside as a) the weather was very changeable and b) I don't like to disturb the bees any more than I need to and they seemed to be bringing in pollen. I'm relieved, I can tell you!

:ohthedrama:

Back